Headphone Jerks
Dec 6, 2009 at 7:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Bilavideo

Caution: Incomplete trades.
Is it just me or are there are more jerks in the headphone section than there are among the IEM crowd? I'm not trying to name names (Please don't) but when I drift over to the big-can crowd for a pleasant discussion, I'm endlessly surprised at how territorial some folks can be. Has anyone else found this to be the case? (And again, let's not name names). I'm not suggesting that all or most big headphone people are somehow rotten to the core, which is good because most of my headphones are big ones, not IEMs (I sold all but my UM3Xs). I'm just wondering if there's a difference in the number of troll types out there, as opposed to in here, or if life is the same pretty much wherever you go. If there are more hostile types with the big cans, why might that be?

Dec 6, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #2 of 27
lol kind of. I hope I'm not one
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 6, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #3 of 27
There are some members that just like to stir things up... a lot. Not going to name any names but a lot of them just don't visit the portable forum. That's counterbalanced by a number of truly helpful and nice people here. Not saying there aren't nice people in the full-size forum... there are. But a few rotten eggs can really ruin the mood.

So yes, I agree.

Dec 6, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #4 of 27
For me, I've found this forum to be very helpful and filled with very knowledgeable/nice members that would not hesitate to help newbies and even the single-posters asking for a regular recommendation (For headphones under $50..etc)

IMO, this is one of the most respectful, helpful and well knowledge forums that I've been part of and I love it.

cheers, fellow Head-fi'ers

Dec 6, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #5 of 27
i don't know if you're refer to me, however there does seem to be a divide between headphones and earphones/IEM's. Many hardened headphone enthusiasts do not like IEM's in any way shape or form. You'll find much the same when it comes to folk who like portable amps, to those in favour of fullsize amps.

Dec 6, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #6 of 27
I'm not really concerned with anything I don't have the time and money for (full sized cans) so I don't really bother looking at the full size forum, just this one. I've only seen a couple squabbles here, not nearly as many as you might see on other forums. I agree that this is a very helpful and kind forum.

Dec 6, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #7 of 27
I've run into both categories. I just ignore the bad and move on. I've made some good friends on here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 6, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't know if you're refer to me, however there does seem to be a divide between headphones and earphones/IEM's. Many hardened headphone enthusiasts do not like IEM's in any way shape or form. You'll find much the same when it comes to folk who like portable amps, to those in favour of fullsize amps.

I don't think I was referring to you. I can't think of any reason to have thought ill of you. I've just had some pretty bruising run-ins over at the headphone taco stand, which is like night and day compared to the portable forum, where lots of people are friendly and supportive. Maybe I'm just having a bad week. I do think, however, that this is a more pleasant area to correspond in.

Dec 6, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #9 of 27
I don't know why the 'they' have to be hostile toward portable or IEM's members. I have using headphones for many years, and IMHO, IEMs are a VERY GOOD alternative to full sized headphones. A mid-level IEMs are easily pawned my beloved 18 years old Sony MDR-CD3000 (modded), in term of accuracy and portability. Yes, I like accuracy, and at this moment, only IEMs can provide better accuracy. Bilavideo has mentioned in this thread,

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/p...eption-457531/

that open headphones do give an 'artificial' soundstage and, I am not considering the 'artificia'l part as 'accurate'
smily_headphones1.gif
But, everybody has preferences, and up to them to choose
smily_headphones1.gif

See the JH13Pros threads, and look how many head-fiers agree that the IEMs can be better or as good their top tier headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif
I think every head-fiers should understand each others, and communicates in good harmony. Nothing is perfect, even the USD20k headphones system also have weakness and limitations
smily_headphones1.gif

Remember, we can enjoy any audio gears (low-fi to summit-f), and as a good head-fiers we shares knowledges, learn and help each others. Don't let our 'ego' and 'status' spoilt our bond, because NOTHING is PERFECT!

Thank you.

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #10 of 27
You said it right there pak. I'm with ya.

When I first signed up I had some really bad experiences over there with rude people but I realized it happens and didn't let it stop me from coming back. I think the repetition bothers some. Maybe we neEd more stickies with good info

Dec 6, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by xguntherc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You said it right there pak. I'm with ya.

When I first signed up I had some really bad experiences over there with rude people but I realized it happens and didn't let it stop me from coming back. I think the repetition bothers some. Maybe we neEd more stickies with good info

+1 The stickies here are pretty minimal. They should really open up some subforums for proper reviews and automatically send any decent reviews there. The headphone section has that I believe but nobody's used it in ages AFAIK.

Dec 6, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #12 of 27
It takes an amount of effort to actually get to this forum, since it's not accessible from the homepage. There will be less people who will frequent this forum because either: a) they don't know it exists, because it's not on the homepage; or b) they won't come here often, because it's not on the homepage.

That, alone, might filter out a lot of the garbage.

Dec 6, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #14 of 27
Bilavideo.

Aha, I think I found the thread which make you upset and just finished reading it.
smily_headphones1.gif
. I hope I am correct about it. Some peoples do not trust anyone and 'science'
smily_headphones1.gif
. They only trust to what they knew and to what they experienced, but not able to link it to physic or science. I think they have ultra precision ears which are better then microphone or tranducer.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, with latest measuring technology, we can accurately measure 'things' using laser.

Bilavideo: I am really appreciate your vast knowledge and wisdom which you had shared with us. Keep your good works and don't let the 'jerks' make you weaker. Also do not forget to keep smiling
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it just me or are there are more jerks in the headphone section than there are among the IEM crowd? I'm not trying to name names (Please don't) but when I drift over to the big-can crowd for a pleasant discussion, I'm endlessly surprised at how territorial some folks can be. Has anyone else found this to be the case? (And again, let's not name names). I'm not suggesting that all or most big headphone people are somehow rotten to the core, which is good because most of my headphones are big ones, not IEMs (I sold all but my UM3Xs). I'm just wondering if there's a difference in the number of troll types out there, as opposed to in here, or if life is the same pretty much wherever you go. If there are more hostile types with the big cans, why might that be?

Whatever you do, don't go over to the Music forum.
smile.gif

Just kidding. As for your post, I think it is more or less true in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back