Headphone jack extender
Oct 5, 2009 at 9:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

exe163

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I am a complete noob at DYI stuff, please be patient with me
tongue.gif

I have a Auzen Forte video card that I use directly with my headphones, but the headphone jack is located at the back of my computer, I am thinking about making a box that takes 3.5mm jack and out 3.5mm jack. Basically all it does is create an anchor that I could plug my headphone to at hand's reach.

Any idea how I could do this? Or an alternative way to just use an headphone extender (male/female) and find a way to settle down on the desk for easy access, but I have yet to figure out how I am going to accomplish this.

Thanks

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Basic?
http://www.frontx.com/cpx090_2.html

Or would you like for the speakers to mute when you plug the phones in?

FRONTX - Front Panel Headphone Jack with Speakers Mute Switch

Add a project box with a couple of holes and you are in buisness....right?
biggrin.gif

(or you could get similar jacks and plugs at Radio shack and wire it all up yourself)

Thanks for the suggestion, but this is not exactly what I am looking for since my sound card has separate analog outputs for speaker (5.1 in my case) and headphone.

As for the interconnect guide, I think I could put it in good use. Here's what I have in mind:

Computer sound card 3.5mm out --- male/male 3.5mm cable --- DYI box female/female 3.5mm to 1/4" --- headphones

So making the box is basically the same as making an interconnect with two female ends and placed inside a box if I am understanding this correctly.

As for the materials, I have all the tools already. I need recommendation on sites that sells both audio parts and the project box you are speaking of. Also something cheap and high density to hold the box in place.

Few general questions while we are at it. How are is it to make cables ane amps? Does craftmanship contributes to sound quality of the final product, meaning silly mistakes such as using too much soldier would have negative impact on the sound itself?

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #5 of 6
seems like adding more connections than is necessary to me, but of course the extra convenience may well have a bigger pay-off to you. I would understand more if you wanted to supply more than one output, but without that need, why not just make a male to female mini long cable and tape or otherwise attach the female end to your computer or desk somehow and plug into that??

Oct 9, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
seems like adding more connections than is necessary to me, but of course the extra convenience may well have a bigger pay-off to you. I would understand more if you wanted to supply more than one output, but without that need, why not just make a male to female mini long cable and tape or otherwise attach the female end to your computer or desk somehow and plug into that??

I got a decent mini cable extender from monoprice, female and male. And I found a reasonable weight to hold it down. Though I still have a problem. The cable is very, very tight. It takes substantial force to plug and unplug, though this is one of the reason why I have the idea of making a box anways. Is there any kind of adapter that convert them to less tighten types? I find 1/4" much easier to work with and not sure the cable adapter version would be the same.

For only $0.51 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 1/4 inch Stereo Jack (Female) to 3.5mm Stereo Plug (Male) Adapter | Audio/Video Adapter

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Ster...5058663&sr=8-9

Something similar to these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back