Headphone jack as lineout? A PJB question.
Oct 9, 2001 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gorgon_123

Proud to be a member
soooooooooo the PJB doesn't have a lineout. Headphone jack --> amp --> headphones --> my ears. How does this effect the sound? What exactly is the benefit of using a lineout, other than not having two volume controls??

Oct 9, 2001 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 8
Not much - a lineout is just a headphone out with a fixed gain. If you set the volume control right then it is about the same, except that it is going through some unneccessary stuff, like a potentiometer and some capacitors. I was thinking about reworking my PJB into a line out, since I will probably never use it without an amp and good headphones.

Oct 10, 2001 at 8:51 AM Post #4 of 8
it might. if the internal headphone amp the sound will travel through sucks, your amp won't change that. you're really only adding a volume booster.

Oct 10, 2001 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 8
At home I used Senn HD600s with red Clou cable and a DIY opamp-based amp (or the Arcam A22, or will use the Melos SHA-1 when it arrives) - but I have all my CDs here, and there's not much reason to listen to MP3.

Travelling I have the Sony sealed earbuds (they have some stupid long name but I can't remember it, new models) and am working on the DIY battery-powered amp with integral charger (almost done) or a Total AirHead. I'll be travelling for a fair bit the rest of the year and I will probably pack the HD600s for when I arrive and use the earbuds just for the plane. I just got the Toshiba 30G hard disk and it is 5 minutes work to put it in the PJB, now I can take nearly everything with me.

A word on the earbuds - the sound is acceptable. Where they really win is in noise isolation. I have Sony MDR-NC20 noise cancelling phones and these buds are better, while not requiring batteries, and they are much smaller, more comfortable and sound better too. Don't ever spend money on active noise cancellation without trying some kind of sealed buds.

Oct 10, 2001 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 8
aerbach: Is it the MDR-EX70LP that you own?

Oct 10, 2001 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 8
Yes! That's the number. I threw away the packaging and it is hard to find on the phones, but there it is in faint raised letters on the back of the junction in the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back