Headphone help! Es7 inclined...
Mar 4, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #31 of 40
for the HFI-580...ya I've thought of reducing bass through EQ but it seems that ppl are saying it's REALLY bassy... meaning if I plug it into any device I'll have to keep tweeking my EQ and reducing the bass and then if I stick in my IEMs I"ll have to rearrange everything once again.. just not too happy with that.

Another concern though.. they seem real huge.keep in mind I'm a girl.

As for ES-7
I know the isolation will not be on par with IEMs, IEMs are almost like noise cancelling IMO, but I mean enough isolation that I don't get too distracted with the outside noise... I don't think I'd be wearing these in the metro. Like let's say you had the tv in the background and some ppl talking or you were wearing these at a relatively low "study volume" at a busy cafe, how would it be? with IEMs.. wouldn't hear anything.

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #32 of 40
Hmm... for the es7's, I personally think they isolate enough. I can't understand what people are saying when I have them on, but I can hear their voices. You know what I mean? If music is playing, their voices are faint, but I can tell two people are talking next to me. It sort of depends how loud they are too. Girl voices tend to leak through easier. I never tried listening to them when a tv was playing, but I would imagine that you could kind of hear it, but not really know what's going on. I'm not sure how they would be in a busy cafe. I've worn them in the library or in a computer lab, but never somewhere that busy. I would think they would be okay depending on how loud the people are around you.

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #33 of 40
hm ya I see, a studio can get somewhat loud, I think I want a headphone that is slightly more isolating so I can focus on my design work....

any suggestions? I looked at the
HD25-1 : problem though, they seem rather flat with recessed midz
HFI-580 : may be too bassy for my taste, I rather modify the bass via EQ, having good bass I'm fine with but "extra" seems unecessary, which is why I bought the UE super fi 5 pro over the EB versions
Now I'm not too sure about the Es-7s....
I remember looking into the Denons d1001, didn't isolate enough, which is a shame cuz it seems rather good, especially for its price
price category is 100-150

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #34 of 40
i have the hfi580, es7 and d1001 with me right now.i wouldnt get the d1001 for any genre thats upbeat and in your face.its too soft and laid back sounding to be a good match for that type of music in my opinion.it is the most comfortable of the 3.it has a nice full sound but the mids sound a bit muffled to me.its a good headphone to fall asleep with.es7 is the least comfortable, it clamps down on your ear and i dont like having it on for more than 30 minutes.it has a more punchy, forward and bright sound.it sounded a bit harsh in the begining for after 50 hours its a lot better. the hfi580 is like a bigger and little less forward version of the es7.most soundstage of the 3.its midrange isnt as prominent as the es7 but thats not really a bad thing to me.it has the most refined sound of the 3.more comfortable than the es7 but not as much as the denon.the bass isnt really too much and its controlled so it doesnt drown out the rest of the music.its still "breaking in" and i havent really listened to it as much as the other two so i cant comment any further.

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #35 of 40
I was in the same situation as you a while but with some more research, I decided to go with Denon D1001's. What really helped sway me is Skylabs review here: REVIEW: 5 sub-$150 sealed headphone compared

There is also a mod to damp the D1001's to make the bass a little better.

I should be getting my D1001's in the mail tomorrow, so I can let you know how they are if you would like. Just send me a PM

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #36 of 40
Warmer, I think, usually means an emphasis on the low and low-mid range, rather than the highs.

Haven't heard the ES7's, but the Denon 1001's are plenty comfortable and have great sound. I found 'em for $99 at B&H -- you could probably price-match with that somewhere else. Or, y'know, shop online.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #37 of 40
hm.. this is still making my decision difficult!! are there no other ones that could like... meet all my criterias? ohman...

as.we.proceed what is your assessment on sound leaking and sound isolation?
seems that the es-7 still fits the bill but doesn't have the best isolation of the bunch but fits most of what I want, I really don't know about the soundstage.. as in what I want or how it sounds.. I have the UE super fi 5 pros.. I'm not sure what the soundstage on that is

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #38 of 40
I've seen ES7's go pretty low on ebay, if price does become a concern.

I'd also recommend the Sony MDR-V6's though. Tend to be cheaper in price, have a very nice track record, and produce a nice sound (from the hour or so that I've used my friends at least). I would say that if you decide to get the Sony's make sure they're MDR-V6 and not MDR-V600. They're about the same price, but from what I've heard (which is even more limited on the V600's) and read the V6's are miles above the V600's.

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #39 of 40
hm v6's, I should check it out, and hopefully it would be easier to come by in Canada

does it fit my requirements in terms of sound and other factors (comfort, leakage, isolation)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back