Headphone help! Es7 inclined...
Jan 25, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ES7 will do, really is a brilliant headphone for the money.
have not heard superfi5 though (or any IEM) so can't compare.
sound is a to the warm side, but fun and detailed.
has a full bass, but not really bloated, it sounds fast. nice mids and sparkling highs for detail. I feel the voices are a little recessed but nothing to really worry about. they don't really need an amp, are closed but don't isolate really much, just a little. almost no leaking. comfort might be an issue after an hour or so (bendingmod helps comfort and looks).
you should be able to find these for under $150, but beware of the really cheap ones, they're probably fake.
or search for d1001/es7 comparisons as d1001 would be a good alternative.

Have you burned them in for 300 hours yet, with pink noise. I assure you, the mids are certainly NOT recessed, and the mids are what define the ES7's, more than anything else! Listen to " I've told Every little star" from the Mulholland Drive soundtrack on them, from an ipod. Man, the mids just shine.
dt880smile.png

Jan 25, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #18 of 40
I am in the same situation as you. I was really focused on getting the ES7's but posted a thread today about some other posibilities.

I was recommended Ultrasone HFI580's. They are a bit more expensive than the ES7's, but they seem to be a better choice. From what I have read, they have LOTS of bass in them and they don't distort. I think they would be worth checking into and saving up for.

Here is a link to the thread I made, if you want some more info and stuff on them: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/fin...phones-405245/

Also, there is a whole thread about these headphones here:http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/wha...-580-a-327443/

Good luck!

p.s. Someone mentioned that the ES7's sit on your ears, not cover them completely (unless you have small ears)

Jan 25, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #19 of 40
Umm, this was or a Christmas present. It's a tad late.
tongue.gif

Jessipoo, what did you end up getting?

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #20 of 40
I didn't end up getting any. Since I wasn't able to decide... I just didn't go with any of the choices. I don't want to buy something I'd regret. I might just buy another pair of IEM's in the future since the super fi 5 pros seem to be harder and harder to get a good fit

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessipoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't end up getting any. Since I wasn't able to decide... I just didn't go with any of the choices.

NICE!
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #22 of 40
Anyone of them would be a great choice anyway...

Jan 26, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #23 of 40
Don't really know how much hours went in, and using esw10 now. I did say I liked the mids. It's just that voices seemed a little at the background, letting music come first if you understand what I mean.

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #24 of 40
so recessed mids?

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #25 of 40
Didn't feel that way... but maybe they where. I just missed the voices, nothing of the music.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #26 of 40
alright well I'm back and I've been reading up on the HFI-580 and they are interesting however, the fact that they have strong bass scares me. I rather one headphones that is good and offers between crisp and warm sound so it's not too clear that it hurts my ear and not too warm that I hear no details.

If I want more bass (plz don't shoot me) I rather adjust it via the audio source with EQ. I really don't mind it and actually prefer the control.

So once again, suggestion? Is the Es-7 still a good one to go with?

I want
-over the ear preferably (since around the ear circumical, sorry don't know the word by heart.... will be waaaaaay too big for my small head)
-doesn't leak sound, doesn't let too much sound in, so rather good passive noise reduction
-doesn't require amp
-I listen to rock (indi, alt), hip-hop, house... so quite a bit and I do prefer a bit more bass but from my readings, seems the HFI-580s may be overdoing it for my taste

suggestions??
Thanks!

PS, instead of x'mas gift, I'll just buy them myself after working in the Summer, so I can endure another bachelor's at school in another design program! Taking IEMs in and out when ppl are talking to you, and you can't hear them, is very very annoying, thanks all!

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #27 of 40
The ES7's are a GREAT choice. Be warned though, they take about 300 hours of burn in to sound their best. Initially, I thought they sounded like the Bose triports WITHOUT the bloated bass(although it WAS muddy). Now, after about 200+ hours of playback, they sound completely different. Voices sound incredible, they are NOT recessed(some even describe this feature as a " honk"...me? I like it). And the highs become really nice, as you play the phones more and more. The bass is good and punchy, without being Bose-ish. I'd say they are the perfect portable non-IEM headphones.

Mar 4, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #28 of 40
okie thanks! I also love the way they look. would you say the mids are good at how's the clarity/warmth? soundstage? and how are they at leaking and isolating?

Basically I like the sound quality of the UE super fi 5 pros, but wouldnt' mind more mids, slightly more clarity and soundstage.

Thanks!

Mar 4, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #29 of 40
yeah, I LOVE the mids....guitars and voices are great, and voices are a bit frontal, so they don't sound drowned out ever in the music. I'd say they let more sound in, than out..as far as isolation goes they are OK, but they are definitely NOT on par with IEMs. Soundstage is good straight out of an ipod, and they are warm headphones.

Mar 4, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #30 of 40
You can always turn down the bass through EQ though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back