Headphone Help - Budget ~$1000
Oct 17, 2008 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

UWisconsin77

Banned
Alright, I've done some pretty extensive research, and I think, I've narrowed down my options, however I am seeking your experience, knowledge, and help, to help me, decide which headphone/amp I should consider next.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

A little about me, and my agenda.

I purchase and import ALL my classic rock from CD Universe - Your Online Music Store , and have been for some time. I am also a big "MFSL" fan (google it) as well, and have many MFSL copies in my collection. I am also an avid fan of using eBay to purchase CD's from South America, Germany, UK, South Africa, some Japanese releasings/revisions, etc. I both enjoy critical listening and simply enjoying the music (the "fun" factor); toe tapping, grooving to the music, etc.

And finally, I am more importantly looking to settle on a single pair of headphones. I am up for "collecting" others, but I need an every-day pair that I can continually go to for my needs.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Who I listen to: Pink Floyd, Queen, Commodores, Cream, Beatles, "Yes", John Lennon, Steely Dan, Bob Marley (not quite classic rock, but..), Allman Brothers, Rush, Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton etc. etc. etc.

What I have been considering: RS-1's, Grado SR100's w/HP1000 drivers, Denon D7000's, Senn 650's w/ upgraded cable, used Edition 9's, AKG K1000's, JVC DX1000, Beyer "Deep Cup" Darth Beyers, AT anything (AD2000, new AD2000X [I think] or OOP AT's). I value the "look" to be a little important to, as I've seen some damned ugly HP's (to me).

------------------------------------------------------------------

RS-1's: The "retro" look is fine by me, I'm not a total fan of it, but it looks nice. What worries me most, is what is generally said about the "soundstage", or lack there of. I'd preferably like to be in 3rd-5th row, not the first. Also, I haven't found many people that considered these resolving and as detailed, as I was hoping for, for the times I just want to sit back and pick apart the music.

SR100 w/HP1000 drivers: not a lot of info on these, but have classic HP1000 drivers..

Denon D7000's: not much on this.. I've heard maybe a cross of Senn and L3000's? I've owned the MarkL modded D2000's, and I wasn't exactly happy. Just not my cup of tea. These may be it..

Senn 650's w/ upgraded cable: I'm not sure I'd like the whole Senn "house signature", but I am considering it. What I like is the extraordinary ability to scale equipment.

Edition 9's: I've been reading quite a bit on these, but what scares me most is the "comfort" level, and "too" much bass, however the few people who expressed these exact qualities, found out to find it comfortable, and not having "mids-bleeding" bass, that I'm scared of.

AKG K1000's: Worried about the bass section. Said to be some-what bass-lite. I would much prefer tight, articulate bass with a decent amount of authority, than overwhelming bass that is completely out of control.

JVC DX1000: Worried about the "carnivorous" sound, not sure exactly what that means or is; the "midrange" many often talk about (not necessarily bad or good, I think) and the bass. Which is often talked about, that is something that could use much control.

Deep-cup Darth Beyeres: Very little talked about. I would LOVE to own one, but I have no idea what to expect. Only thing that worries me is the amount of detail/resolution, the "fun" factor, and if the bass is controlled, because stock DT770 bass is just way out of control.

AT anything - the comfort on my head, is mind blowing. Extremely comfortable. I have researched the W5000's, but feel it is on par with the Sony SA5000's, which seem to have more/better bass than the W5000's.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Equipment: in progress. I'm about 98% committed to a Headamp GS-1, as it works wonders with just about any, and every headphone. Flexibility combined with great sound, really brings me back to this amp every time. I have yet to purchase it, but it's #1 on my list right now. If I choose the K1000's, I'll be picking up a Firestone Audio "Big Joe" for starters.

CDP: depends on the HP I settle with. I have a bit more than a grand to spend, which leaves lots of options. Once I settle on the HP's I want, I can concentrate on this.

If there's any additional info that could be useful to you, please ask me, as I'm committed to getting my foot into "high-end-'fi" (to me and my wallet). I'm just looking to gather additional information and opinions on these HP's considered, and the music genre I listen to.

Thanks for your time..
beerchug.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 28
My tip... start with an RS1 and an hd650 along with the gs1s that you want to get. Burn them in and decide which one you like better and if there is anything missing or lacking in each.... report your findings here. After saying that you want the hd650 sound but with the rs1 immediacy etc etc... I am pretty sure you will be guided in the right direction as to which headphone is right for you. If you find that one of the above is perfect then you're in luck! just return the other for a full refund and you are done and can leave head-fi with minimum damage to your wallet.

Oct 17, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My tip... start with an RS1 and an hd650 along with the gs1s that you want to get. Burn them in and decide which one you like better and if there is anything missing or lacking in each.... report your findings here. After saying that you want the hd650 sound but with the rs1 immediacy etc etc... I am pretty sure you will be guided in the right direction as to which headphone is right for you. If you find that one of the above is perfect then you're in luck! just return the other for a full refund and you are done and can leave head-fi with minimum damage to your wallet.

Thanks. I started this thread to see if, and hopefully there are, other users that have similar music tastes and are hopefully using or have had a decent amount of time with any other headphones listed here.

beerchug.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 28
The rs1s and hd650s are just an easy starting point because they are a good contrast to each other and many members can guide you through your path if there is anything you need more in your sound since they are both popular cans.

Oct 17, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 28
You like rock so my advice is to at least check out the RS-1. I have heard and owned numerous Senns and they sound too distant and uninvolving for rock.

When I heard the Grado sound I knew I was home. You may differ but at least check them out. Try the Senns too like the first poster suggested and go from there.

HAVE FUN!

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #9 of 28
nobody say stax yet? wow.

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by nff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nobody say stax yet? wow.

Eh, I cannot stand the look of them. Except for the O2's. Plus I would need a Stax amp, which obviously won't work with dynamics. I plan on collecting some OOP headphones as well, down the line, and this would just add to expense, with a amp just for dynamics. Don't get me wrong, I bet they sound great, but IMO and only that, they look hideous.

Hey, if I win the lottery, I'll be sure to get me some stax!
beerchug.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #11 of 28
As a fellow Badger fan and former student at UW, I'd also recommend going down the Senn 650 / Grado RS-1 path. These represent opposite ends of the spectrum in many ways and you should find out which you prefer. Headroom has a 30-day money back policy, which I've used many times to audition headphones to find the one I liked, i.e. order both and return the one you don't like (or keep both!).

Although certain headphones don't match well with certain kinds of music, for classic rock etc, many people love both the Senn and Grados, but my guess is that you'll fall in love with one of the two sounds, which are very different. It's a very personal choice.

I listen to all kinds of music, own both Senns and Grados and almost always reach for the Grados before the Senns.

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #13 of 28
ad2000 is a great can for those that dont mind the wacky mids and rolled off top end. Everything else on it is peachy. No amp needed too

Oct 19, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #15 of 28
hahaha I dont hate them. I'm just saying what flaws they have. hd600s have some flaws too, Its just that I could live with them more. Beyer 990s i hated, not the ad2000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back