Headphone Health Issues EMF ESF
Mar 25, 2003 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Coroner

Head-Fier
G'day all

I was thinking a couple of months back about the effects headphones may have on your health. I started thinking about EMF which I know in too high amounts has been shown to be detrimental to your health. Then I saw on the Ultrasone site their low EMF headphones and that they gave rating for their headphones.

Has anybody ever measured other headphones EMF? Say Beyerdynamic or Grado? I have a feeling Grado would probably be way up there. Could using some headphones be as bad or worse than a mobile phone?

I wear headphones about 4 Hours everyday so I am quite interested in what it could be doing to me and what the EMF strength of my phones are (Beyer DT831 Grado SR-325).

Another thing I thought about were Electrostatic Headphones and what they could be doing. Although ESF is yet to be shown to have any dangerous health effects unlike EMF (ESF dust attraction causes most problems) is it also a problem? Would electrostatics say like Stax have low EMF radiation? Or would they be worse than dynamic phones? (Although I believe dynamic would be worse as they are electro magnets) Or does the high voltage generate enough EMF to be just as high??

Has anybody else wondered what listening to headphones a lot could be doing to you?

Mar 25, 2003 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 9
I don't think headphones can be compared to cellphones because it's the device for transmitting/receiving radio waves that causes the strong EMF in cellphones. In headphones you've only got the driver output which is really nothing compared to the values you get with some cellphones, especially the older ones. I'm referring to dynamic headphones btw, as for electrostatic ones I really don't know.

Mar 26, 2003 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the replies peoples

Number9 thanks for the tip I'll do some searches.

Well even if it did fry your brain I don't think I could give up the habit
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2003 at 12:43 AM Post #7 of 9
I think you are on to something - quick get rid of your cancer cans!

I'll bravely dispose of any HD600s or RS1s without charging a hazmat fee.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 22, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Do some search's here and on Headwize. Has been discussed at length before.

The NET of it is that headphones are not bad for you.

Continue to enjoy the habit.

I'm not so sure. I just bought a CellSensor and have been using it to test and map my living space's EMF fields. I have been discovering interesting things, such as alarm clocks and surge strips are very powerful, computers radiate less when their metal covers are on, stoves generate a very strong field even when off, wall switches generate a field when on, and my air purifier generates the strongest field of any device when on so far. I imagine only the electric oven when it's on will be more powerful. Anyway, I put the device up to my high-definition Bose headphones and noticed blips, but nothing strong. When the music started loudly, however, my suspicions were confirmed. The EMF reading jumped to well over 5 milligauss. That's not good to have near your brain and inner ear for hours on end. In 2004 I started listening to these headphones a lot. That was when I developed an inner ear disorder that hasn't gone away, even though I hardly ever use the headphones anymore. It's also when I started developing sleep disorders, difficulty at work, episodes of depression, and metabolic changes resulting in weight gain and chronically slow recovery after workouts. I'm starting to wonder if these large amounts of EMF pounding into my head could have contributed.

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 9
I joined this site just to check if someone measured EMF on their cans. I have Tri Field meter, but I don’t have headphones as I was postponing the purchase until I find out more about their EMF effect.
http://www.amazon.com/Trifield-100XE-EMF-Meter/dp/B00050WQ1G
I wish someone would buy this Tri Field meter and measure their headphones, and earphones too.
Please report the findings if you do.

Having EMF more than 1-2 milligaus is dangerous for health, even for a shorter but regular usage.
I measured regular home phone and has very high level. I use professional level speakerphone mostly since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back