Headphone hating
Jul 6, 2011 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

kirr45

New Head-Fier
What's up guys. Just joined.

I had a question. I noticed on the forum everyone's always complaining about Bose. I was wondering, is it because of the quality or is it because of the price point? I do agree they are higher priced than they should be. That being said I bought the Triports years ago and I'm happy with them but I'm in the market for new ones. I want headphones that are real. What I mean is that I don't want Beats that have artificial bass. You could be listening to a violin and the crap would probably even have bass. And I don't want the headphone the  sound tinny. I want it to handle the highs while also having a little bass. not too much, but then not lack bass. Any ideas? I started looking at AKG's. 

Jul 6, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 19
Good violins do have a lush warmth to them when recorded, but I agree Beats won't be very accurate.

I feel AKGs having excellent sound clarity and solid construction for the money. I was happy when I had my K271 and K701 but have read great things about the K240 also. You may also want to look into Sennheiser offerings.

Where will you be using the headphones and with what music? Open headphones don't block any noise FYI

Jul 6, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 19
I usually use the headphones for long trips on planes. That being said I don't care about noise cancellation usually because I have the volume high enough to wear it almost does the same job. 

Jul 6, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 19
O yeah, welcome to Head-fi!

The problem with Bose is that they lack clarity for the price, but their QC15 headphones have phenomenal noise cancelling. Treble resolution is non-existent though.

The thing with open headphones is not about noise cancelling. What I mean is that absolutely no reduction of background noise. What you hear right now without wearing headphones will be exactly what you would be hearing if you're wearing open headphones without music on. If you are wearing the headphones for plane trips, then a good closed headphone like the Audio Technica M50 or Sennheiser HD25 1 will suit your needs.

Jul 6, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #5 of 19
Heya,

Seems like this thread is going to get less attention for the purpose, which is to find good headphones for hearing a violin, because of the title and opening.

The AKG 701/702 and Sennheiser HD600's would be good for violin, with proper amplification and a quality DAC. Even a Grado would probably sound amazing, but it will probably project the sound more than it actually sounds reducing fidelity.

Very best,

Jul 6, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 19

Quote:
Heya,

Seems like this thread is going to get less attention for the purpose, which is to find good headphones for hearing a violin, because of the title and opening.

The AKG 701/702 and Sennheiser HD600's would be good for violin, with proper amplification and a quality DAC. Even a Grado would probably sound amazing, but it will probably project the sound more than it actually sounds reducing fidelity.

Very best,

As much as I'd LOVE to bring a fullsized setup on a plane as the followup post said, that's pretty hard (not including an H140+amp and dac or iMot+VCAP (Do people even use these anymore?)+Solo+amp. Not to mention that airplane noise would leak in.

For closed and good for violin, I'd get the K271. Although you might have bass issues. They're pretty bass light for most.

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #7 of 19
K271/272 is a pretty good place to start, but they're more clinical and less "involving" than a lot of people will want. Smooth all around, nice mids and treble, decent tight bass, but nothing that really grabs you and says "CHECK THIS OUT."

Not too tricky to drive though, and I've worn mine on international flights with no issues in comfort at all. 

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #9 of 19
I disagree, they did me quite well in flight and block out a reasonable amount of plane-noise. I much prefer these to any noise-cancelling headphone I've heard, and I've heard a fair number. 

Also, this is Head-Fi... you know there are those of us who have worn a K1000 in public, right? Fashion goes right out the window in the face of audio quality. 

Quote:
The problem with using the K271 on a plane is that it is a really big headphone. It may look a little strange since it looks like you brought something from a studio to an airplane ride. Also, its isolation is poor.

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
Also, this is Head-Fi... you know there are those of us who have worn a K1000 in public, right? Fashion goes right out the window in the face of audio quality. 

biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

I've never heard or worn one, but I'd imagine you'd have to walk really carefully or they'd fall off.  That's what I'd be concerned about anyway...

Jul 10, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
I've never heard or worn one, but I'd imagine you'd have to walk really carefully or they'd fall off.  That's what I'd be concerned about anyway...

K1000 actually clamps pretty sturdily on the head.

No, what you'd really want to worry about is buying a backpack big enough for the car battery you'd need to power the amp.

Jul 10, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:
I usually use the headphones for long trips on planes. That being said I don't care about noise cancellation usually because I have the volume high enough to wear it almost does the same job. 

This is a recipe for killing your hearing quickly. I highly recommend using noise-cancelling headphones or highly-isolating IEMs with foam tips for flying instead of just turning up the volume.

Jul 10, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
K1000 actually clamps pretty sturdily on the head.

No, what you'd really want to worry about is buying a backpack big enough for the car battery you'd need to power the amp.

I think a few motorcycle batteries and a T-amp would work decently enough if you were worried about the size and weight of an amp.

Jul 10, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #15 of 19
Having tried "noise cancelling" headphones. (I admit, I owned a pair of the original Bose noise cancellers priot to finding Head-Fi), and various on/off ear sets of headphones while travelling, I have yet to find better than a great pair of custom IEM's, mine being UE-10pros.  A portable amp can add a bit more to the experience if you are using lossless audiophiles, and allows one to pass by some of the iPod amplification using a LOD.

I think one might have trouble now adays getting auto/cycle batteries through airline security.

One can also assume that the environment that is present during airline flight is not really optimal for critical listening with any device/can, so I have decided that travelling light is more important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back