headphone gurus: nows your time to shine :)
Dec 1, 2002 at 1:47 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Techniques
Thanks everyone for your great opinions and the links to reviews they have been incredibly helpful.
So I’ve narrowed my options down to a small pool of options:

Grado SR60
Sennheiser HD570
Philips HP890
Sony MDR-7506 (MDR-V6)
Beyerdynamic DT250-80

- Techniques

Hi Techniques,
Since I've only heard the Grados and Sonys on the list, I can't compare them to the other 'phones there. However, I can tell you that, for the money ($69), the Grado SR-60 is an INCREDIBLE sounding headphone. And even though I don't find any Grados uncomfortable, the SR-60 probably the most comfortable of all the Grados........they aren't called "comfy" pads for nuthin'!
And they didn't win all those accolades from reviewers for nothing either. The only drawback that I can find is sound leakage. You really owe it to yourself to hear them.
Just my .02.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2002 at 1:59 AM Post #17 of 32
I'm with Joelongwood on this one. I've heard the Audio Technica 100ti's. To me they sound like closed Grados. For the money, I'd also go with the SR 60's. Great sound for rock, you don't necessarily need the amp (but one will enhance the sound), and fine,snappy bass extension. For the money, it's my best "bang for the buck" headphone.

Dec 1, 2002 at 2:41 AM Post #18 of 32
Will, you've heard closed Grado? I thought I was the only one who has ever attempted such a feat. I have a lot of experience with my Grado SR80's and I can tell you all it's faults - starting with the band, and ending with the pads.

Closed Grados isn't such a bad thing to say about A100Ti's.

Tech said, "...comfort is a MUST though because I will be wearing them for extended periods of time."

so what are the most comfortable set of cans around? (open or closed?)

then he wants a balanced, forward, articulate set of cans. which are these?

his musical tastes run to rock.

since he has a $150 budget, senn 590's may be out of his range. so what's left? senn hd497's? porta pros? i suspect the JVC's are going to be heavy feeling, even at $25 a pop. Of course he can always just get Sony V700DJ's...

Dec 1, 2002 at 3:14 AM Post #19 of 32
I tried an SR60, I thought it was terrible. Not from a great source but then people say these are great with walkmans so this was probably a fair test. Shrill in a big way. MDR-7506 shrill Flasken? If they're bad then the SR60 probably counts as some sort of ear-orientated weapon. Not brilliant bass extension. Not brilliant detail either I thought, but perhaps that's my cloth ears again. And they're open which means you can't hear anything on the train. And they look odd. And they're not that comfortable despite being very light. And I've used too many Ands in this paragraph.
If the MDR-7506 or V6 is not a choice, then for just a bit more than a grado SR60 you can buy a Sennheiser HD280 Pro or one of the lower-end Audio-Technica ART series shipped from Japan, both I think vastly superior in many respects.

Dec 1, 2002 at 3:52 AM Post #25 of 32
Walljohn. No disrespect intended. I didn't mean to use the term "closed Grado's" as a criticism of the At cans, that's just how they sound to me. I enjoy Grado's, and find them comfortable. So for me I'll stick with them, as the AT cans aren't really an improvement to them for me.

Dec 1, 2002 at 4:18 AM Post #26 of 32
Comfort-wise, most descriptions I've read about the HP890's is simmilar to how I feel about my DT770s - they're freaking huge, but might comfy. As for the V6, IMHO the replacement pads aren't a must unless you have largish ears or ears that stick out quite a bit. They're made to be just barely circumaural (ie just barely go all the way around your ears), and when you put them on, remember that the oblong earpieces don't sit vertically, they sit at a slant matching the curve of the back of your ear.

Quote:

The V6 is known to have a bit harsh treble - not good for heavy metal.

I respectfully disagree. Hard rock / heavy metal is about 80% of what I listen to, and I think the V6 sounds great with it. Of course, if a CD is really poorly recorded, it won't sound good with a V6. Garbage in, garbage out.

Dec 1, 2002 at 4:29 AM Post #27 of 32
Just my 2 cents worth-
I love rock , old and some new, R&B, Techno, female vocals, disco
eek.gif
and had bought the sr-60's and just as I read in a lot of posts "no bass" - beautiful mids and highs but "no bass" - if you get the Grado's I hear the 80's are much much better - I gave mine to a friend ( couldn't sell them to someone because I would feel guilty for a long time to come) They do have real nice sound though and the Grado 225's are supposed to be the best Rock and Roll headphones around Hands down ( from what I've read anyway) . I did call up one Hi Fi shop on the east coast and they told me that the Grado Sr-80's was there number one selling headphones. But, and what a big but it was, they are uncomfortable, so think about alternate earpads like wallijohn was talking about.
porta pros sound a lot better to me - cut a small hole in pads to let the mids out and tame the bass and they sound real good. I've heard the 280 pros, a real nice sound (tight and clean) right from a portable. Don't like the bose tri -whatevers - not without an amp anyway...
If what they say about the kcs-35 is correct - their like a porta pro with a minus one on the bass - probably perfect because the porta pros seem to be bass heavy on some songs to me - but they still sound very good for 31 bucks...
Well, Thats my 2 cents anyway LOL
Rich

Dec 1, 2002 at 4:49 AM Post #28 of 32
I appriciate all the input everyone, thanks much.

I think im just going to buy the Beyerdynamic DT250-80 and be happy with them. I've seen alot of good information on them and they appear to be well-rounded.
I've seen them for around 140-150 around that range, and thats fine i just hope their worth it for that price
smily_headphones1.gif

i want something thats going to last me a very long time i dont plan on having 20 sets of headphones.
who knows i may pick up an amp for them one day, but i just looked at the price of most amps and i dont think thats going to happen very soon.

so yeah the DT250-80's most likley, or the Sony MDR-7506, but thats mostly because i can get those at a best buy near me and try them at home and if i dont like them, return them.

any last comments? it wont be a huge mistake on my part if i go order the DT250-80s would it? good sound for that price coming from a computer and other various sources, nothing to high end yet. and i hope they are "good bang for the buck" or atleast worth the money... i read all the reviews on this site about the Bose Triport, i dont want to run into one of those $35 headphones for $150 problems with these
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks Again!

- Techniques

Dec 1, 2002 at 5:11 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

... i dont plan on having 20 sets of headphones

You're doomed! DOOMED, I tell you!
very_evil_smiley.gif

a few guys here use Marantz amps to drive their headphones. I'm bidding on a Marantz 1030 right now. I think I'm gonna end up paying a little more than I should have. But such an amp would prove beneficial to you if you connect the soundblaster to the aux and a cd to the tape in. then you'd have a nice cheap amp, an excellent phono stage, and can hook up real nice speakers instead of pc crapolla.

before buying check the "for sale" section here and at headwize. many times someone will be selling them at a good price. and of course always scoure the internet for deals.

don't you wish there was a search function for user profiles? then you could see who owns those cans and ask a multitude of questions.

best of luck with your choice.

Dec 1, 2002 at 5:16 AM Post #30 of 32
I guess I can't comment on the beyers, but I've heard the V6 and it's ok, but I agree with some of the comfort issues, my ears don't like having things touching them when I'm listening, other than that and the sounds stage issues with the V6 (or lack there of) the sound is quite nice and I didn't find them to be too harsh. They would be an easy step up from what you've got now.

I've also heard the 570 and 590 side by side and I agree, scrap the 570, it sounds soft and tame and vield. Like velvet, only they got caried away and used the whole roll rather than one sheet. The 590s are IMO way better and sound quite good even unamped. I'd like to buy a pair for my self if I don't crumble before the reviews of the more expensive ATH A1000...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back