headphone gurus: nows your time to shine :)
Dec 1, 2002 at 5:22 AM Post #31 of 32
Will, no offence taken. I own Grado SR80's (along with ATH AD10's and AKG K501's. I should be getting my AKG K1000's next week, along with 2 Aiwa AK100's and the JVC D990's). And I now hate the SR80's. If you look at my mod thread on the SR80's you'll see a remarkable change in the high end. The raspiness is gone. There's actual bass, now. What didn't change was the transient attacks. All it's failings I have written for all to see. I'm surprised I wasn't flamed for blasphemy. I guess everyone's waiting for the final product along with frequency response graphs and a full sound review.

I took your "closed grados" as a compliment when you described the AT's. I've modded my AD10's to the point where they sound a lot better than my AKG K501's. So the AKG 501's will probably go on sale real cheap. And once I have the K1000's, the Grado SR80 will be relegated to computer use. That's why I'm getting the Marantz amp - to drive all the headphones, and have a very good amp in the bargain for speaker use when gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back