headphone for very private use
Mar 1, 2005 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

dano1122

100+ Head-Fier
i recentely bought a laptop that i am using late at night and in the library. i want a pair of headphones for the headphone out which are easy to drive, closed, comfortable, decent sound, and low profile. any recommendations? thanks very much.

Mar 1, 2005 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 18
Maybe the Sennheiser PX200, but there is some controversy... because of the difficult seal of the small earcups.

Bye
Andrea

Mar 1, 2005 at 11:46 AM Post #3 of 18
Canalphones? To most people they look more or less like regular earbuds (or hearing aids depending on how far up the ladder o' expensiveness you go).

Or maybe the HD25 or the already mentioned PX200.

Mar 1, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
How does it compare to the PX200 and HD25?

Never tried K26 yet. As worldIRC said it's difficult to get good seal with PX200, unless your ears' surface is perfectly flat. I'd go with hd25, best portable closed phones I've tried so far, at a price.

Mar 1, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by WorldIRC
The PX200s are good IF they seal to your ears well. The problem is they don't..with everyone so as a result, you lose some of the bass response. I am one of the lucky people who's ears fit them

In a silent situation they are way better than outside since they don't isolate well. But they do not leak much, which is good for the given task. Then again I must say that *to me* they only sound good with plenty of juice, so unless dano1122 has an old Sony PCDP or a really hot jack in that laptop (I doubt it) they won't qualify as "easy to drive". I'd say Etymotic ER6 or ER-4P. Sensaphonics if price is no object.

BTW, the thread's topic made me think of sth. very different from library use
tongue.gif
I wonder when ER comes out with those wireless Etys...
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 1, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
How good is the sound on the K26P? How does it compare to the PX200 and HD25?

The HD25 is certainly superior but we are talking about a huge price difference here since the K26P costs as much as the PX200. As for the PX200, I personally prefer the K26P because they are more easily driven by portable sources and they are not as "laid back" while they have deeper bass.

Mar 1, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #10 of 18
The Sennheiser PXC250 is a good match for your needs. In my opinion it's a substantially better-sounding headphone than the PX200, and the active noise reduction, while not all that strong, is plenty for most library situations -- it'll make things like air conditioner sounds and nearby whispering go away just about completely. I've been seeing them for about $70 refurbished lately, which is a great price.

You might also want to consider the Sony EX51, EX70 or EX71 canal phones. They're inexpensive, super comfortable, super portable, and block a decent amount of outside sound. On Head-Fi it's fashionable to sneer at these, but I really enjoy mine. I own ER-4's, E2C's, HD25's, various other cans and an array of portable amps, and my EX71's still have a place in my bag.

Mar 1, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch
You might also want to consider the Sony EX51, EX70 or EX71 canal phones. They're inexpensive, super comfortable, super portable, and block a decent amount of outside sound.

I agree, except that having used both the EX70 and EX71, I would recommend the Panasonic RP-HJE50 instead as better-sounding (and better built, and even less expensive!). I carry them in my pocket all the time .....

They're discreet (if that's what you mean by low profile), and they don't isolate so much to the extent that you are totally unaware of your surroundings.

Or the Sharp MD-33 for a little more, or for even more, the Shures/Etys .....

Cheers

Mar 1, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #12 of 18
the e2c are available for around $60 now and are very nice entry audiophile canalphones. they provied the isolation you need and are also very detailed considering their price.

Mar 2, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #13 of 18
are canalphones like ear buds? i always had problems with ear buds falling out easily or hurting my ears because the sound felt too close to my ear drums.

Mar 2, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dano1122
are canalphones like ear buds? i always had problems with ear buds falling out easily or hurting my ears because the sound felt too close to my ear drums.

Not quite like ear buds. The where ear buds sit in your ears, canal phones actually go into the ear canal. They take getting used to, but the sound is great.

You won't have the problem with them falling out. But if you didn't like ear buds because they are too close to your ears, chances are you will not like canal phones at all.

If you are willing to try them, I do agree they may be your best bet. I love my e2c's.

Mar 2, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #15 of 18
canal phones fit like earplugs (if you've ever worn ear plugs for hearing protection). I highly recommend the Etymotics ER-6i - easy load, very low profile, excellent sound, nice isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back