Headphone for mixing?
Nov 26, 2009 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

andy43

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a headphone to do mixing on but I'm not really sure what makes a good mixing headphone. I would assume a headphone that is very accurate and doesn't sound the same on every song. I'm interested in buying a Ultrasone 750 but I'm worried that it will be too colored for mixing. Any ideas?

Oh and my budget is around $200 or so, and I don't have a great amp or anything, just a presonus firestudio. So an easy to drive phone is preferable.

Nov 26, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 42
The Presonus Firestudio it's fine, and will drive most of the hps include the K701/2.

1. K702
2. GMP 8.35 / 435
3. K-271MKll
4. M-50

I'll not recommend any Ultrasones for mixing, they are to colored and aggressive.
They can be use as playback hps after the studio work and the mastering it's done.

Nov 27, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #4 of 42
Really my firestudio could power a k701/702? I thought that phones even moderately hard to amp would be out of the question. I didn't know that the amp in my interface could handle it.

Nov 27, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #5 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by andy43 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really my firestudio could power a k701/702? I thought that phones even moderately hard to amp would be out of the question. I didn't know that the amp in my interface could handle it.

Well...there are few levels of amps that can power the K701/2. The Firestudio it's a great for studio, and as a hps amp.

Dec 9, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 42
Okay I went from getting real close to buying Ultrasone HFI-780's to now considering K701/2's. I'm worried that Ultrasones won't work well for mixing because they exaggerate certain frequencies, like bass and highs, and will end up with a poor mix. I think that a very neutral and accurate headphone is needed. I'm a little worried about the K701/2's having too little of bass though, or is it just accurate of how it was mixed?

Does anyone have experience with mixing on a headphone and have success with it?

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #10 of 42
I really want to go for the K701 but I'm a little scared about the bass not reaching low enough to hear the ultra low frequencies that studio monitors typically bring. I'm going to be mixing electronic music so bass is very important. Is the bass capable of reaching low when it needs to?

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #11 of 42
I think mixing on headphones is a bad idea, but if you do, choose neutral headphones.

In your price range check out Sennheiser HD-280's, Audio-Technica's ATH-M50, and Sony MDR-7506. I personally have only used the Sony's, but other mixers I know use the others. They won't use them to mix on, but they use them for editing, and to get a reference point in an unfamiliar room.

Once you mix your tunes make sure to take that mix and play in in the car, on a boom box, in your reference rig, and so forth. That way you'll know how it translates.

Dec 10, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

I really want to go for the K701 but I'm a little scared about the bass not reaching low enough to hear the ultra low frequencies that studio monitors typically bring. I'm going to be mixing electronic music so bass is very important. Is the bass capable of reaching low when it needs to?

They do reach the ultra low, under 30hz.
k701smile.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Oh and my budget is around $200 or so, and I don't have a great amp or anything, just a presonus firestudio. So an easy to drive phone is preferable.

The Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (250 ohm) is probably ideal if you want a closed phone, that is. It does have a bit of harshness in the upper mid/ treble / whatever area, though. But describing it like this probably makes it sound worse than it is.

If you want a closed headphone for mixing and listening to music, I think it's pretty close to ideal for this price. Bass is full-bodied, and it leaves with a generally neutral impression and really is ideal for mixing and general isolated music listening. Should be $199 in most places. If you have a chance to listen to it, do so.

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by brooce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (250 ohm) is probably ideal if you want a closed phone, that is. It does have a bit of harshness in the upper mid/ treble / whatever area, though. But describing it like this probably makes it sound worse than it is.

If you want a closed headphone for mixing and listening to music, I think it's pretty close to ideal for this price. Bass is full-bodied, and it leaves with a generally neutral impression and really is ideal for mixing and general isolated music listening. Should be $199 in most places. If you have a chance to listen to it, do so.

DT770s would be terrible for mixing. OP wants a neutral HP without colouration. DT770s have somewhat harsh highs and a LOT of bass :\

Dec 10, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #15 of 42
DT250 is probably more neutral than the dt770. Supposed to be very flat/accurate...sounds flat to me with a **slight** elevated bass...most reviews say they are very neutral. There was a used k240DF on ebay for a good price last time I looked. They may be even flatter!
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back