Headphone for metal and games. DT770/880/990, HD650, PRO750
Dec 1, 2008 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Stitch

500+ Head-Fier
Hello everybody
This is my first post here and this has probably been asked more than once, but still.. Here goes.

At this point im using a Logitech 350 USB headset wich is breaking down. For replacement Ive been looking around for some new headphones. This time (far) better quality than the 350's since i got more demanding on sound quality over the last few years.
Found and read hundreds of topics(including head-fi) and still majorly in doubt. Before every1 says i just have to go and listen, i would like some expert opinions to narrow down my list. Im not audiophile but i do want good sound quality.

One requirement is curcumaural and my purpose is metal(black,death,trash,viking and folk/pagan) and games. I know from experience that (too)much bass will ruin almost every metal song.
My current list is as follows:
Beyer DT770
Beyer DT880
Beyer DT990
Sneheiser HD 650
Ultrasone Pro 750/2500
Havent read much about the Ultrasones atm, some1 recommended them. And what is the difference in the the two? Apart form the closed/open back.

Ive been hanging towards the beyer DT880 for its neutrality and detail and it doesnt seem to have much bass compared to the 770 and 990. The sennheiser seems to do wel overall so that one is still in the race

Already decided that i will probably go for the Zero DAC/preamp as i have read only good reviews so far.

Thanks in advance

Dec 1, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 34
Im just starting with audio gear so around €100 for the amp/dac, thats why i chose the Zero. This is basicly set.
For the headphone ive been thinking around €200-250

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 34
Go for the AD700. The DT770 has too much bass. The DT880 is going to be a bit too thin and analytical to be a good metal phone. The DT990 pales in comparison to similar headphones like the K601. The HD 650 is too slow to be a good metal phone, while the Pro 750 is a hate it or love it phone. The audio technicas have a great soundstage for gaming, and lots of speed for metal songs.

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 34
I would go for the 05' DT770. It is not the bass monster that the DT770 pro is, but it has enough bass to make game playing enjoyable.

DT880 is quite anemic in bass in comparison, and overall not as enjoyable as playing game with. They are good for prolonged listening of music from most genre though.

Dec 2, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 34
Well that takes care of the HD650 than.
Still not sure about the beyers, lots of different opinions. It seems to me that these are more bound to personal taste than any other.
Have been reading a bit on the AD700 and they do sound intresting with heavy metal(fast and punchy but not over present bass) and games(big soundstage) in mind.
I can and want to able to sit and play games/listen to music for hours so comfort is also important to me, wich both the beyers and the AD700 seem to offer
What about the AD900? CAnt seem to find much info. Only 1 or 2 reviews with basicly the same message. Cant even find them on the Audio Technica european site...

Dec 2, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #7 of 34
FWIR...

If going for the DT880, I would buy the X-Head amp from av123.com. But that would leave you out of budget to also afford a decent source/DAC. The HotUSB1 > X-Head > DT880 "may" be something to consider, but slightly over budget. I question whether the Zero would amp the DT880 sufficiently for my money. You, however, may find this a satisfactory combo. I wouldn't risk it.

The AD700 on the other hand would be a much less expensive alternative. I would run it with a $60 HotUSB1 for a total investment of ~$165. You, of course, may find an appreciable improvement with the Zero. But with the AD700, I wouldn't risk the additional expense.

If adequately amped, the DT880 would have considerably more bass presence. The AD700 would be an excellent bargain option.

Dec 2, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #8 of 34
DT880 dont like metal at all
IMO Ultrasones are the choice

Dec 2, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #9 of 34
I hated DT770s for metal. Too slow, too warm, not enough bass impact. Denon D2000s are magical though.

Dec 2, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #10 of 34
Well im starting from scratch with hifi/high end phones and have long term reference phones. So you might be right that i will be satisfied, probaly more than, coming from a crappy usb headset.
I still like the idea of the zero. If i want i could put another amp between that and headphones later. Some recomended the Little Dot I+ Hybrid or the XIANG SHENG 708B, both tube amps.

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #12 of 34
Call me stuborn but i still have strong tendecies towards the DT880 or 990 because gaming is one of my main activities with music listening on the side. Have to admit its more balanced lately since my old cd player is broken and the sony discman i used on the aux-in has vanished to god knows where...

Im still considering the PRO-750 of HFI-700 and the bit out of budget D2000.
At least i got some better directions and examples of what to listen for an audition.

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #14 of 34
I am a big power metal fan and the Denon 1001's are working great for me. I imagine the 2000 series are even better. I also have the Sennheiser 555's but they are too bright for most Power metal. I have the Beyer 770's on the way so I can give an opinion in a few days. Hope they are not too slow and warm like Dima1109 says

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #15 of 34
I find my DT880's too thin and lacking of bass power and thump for most games. Buuuut, if you can live with the shyness of the bass for gaming, they are a joy to listen to metal, rock and basically anything that requires precise and fast cans. I thoroughly enjoy listening to Dragonforce and many other bands with my DT880's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back