Headphone for metal and games. DT770/880/990, HD650, PRO750
Dec 3, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #16 of 34
The DT990 '05 are the better choice [Not the 600Ω (very dark and harder to drive than the 250Ω)] for games, movies, and sound very good too with metal.
The Denons are also very good for your requeriments, and the ultrasone HFI-780 are excellent with metal, movies and games too....
Ah, another alternative that can serve (but out of context here) are the Sony MDR-SA3000/5000 for your music. Although, the last is out of your price range. At least that you get a bargain.... Both work very good with a inexpensive amp as the Fiio (with the result that, it's a very good combination for games and movies (it add a welcome warmth and punch to the bass...))
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Call me stuborn but i still have strong tendecies towards the DT880 or 990 because gaming is one of my main activities with music listening on the side. Have to admit its more balanced lately since my old cd player is broken and the sony discman i used on the aux-in has vanished to god knows where...

Im still considering the PRO-750 of HFI-700 and the bit out of budget D2000.
At least i got some better directions and examples of what to listen for an audition.

Dec 3, 2008 at 9:02 AM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT990 '05 are the better choice [Not the 600Ω (very dark and harder to drive than the 250Ω)] for games, movies, and sound very good too with metal.
The Denons are also very good for your requeriments, and the ultrasone HFI-780 are excellent with metal, movies and games too....
Ah, another alternative that can serve (but out of context here) are the Sony MDR-SA3000/5000 for your music. Although, the last is out of your price range. At least that you get a bargain.... Both work very good with a inexpensive amp as the Fiio (with the result that, it's a very good combination for games and movies (it add a welcome warmth and punch to the bass...))

So, whats your listening-impression from the 600Ω version DT990 05? Does it have less treble than the 250Ω version? More mids?

Dec 3, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #19 of 34
Well, according to the Ultrasone HFI-780 Big thread and with my 'brief' experience (that lasted 40 hours in total (because the drivers burn out in the last burn in)). They are/was (in my experience) forward sounding in the mids* and treble and lowest bass....
*...Then all that this people said in that thread is pure bulsh!t?.
Well, maybe so (because i have always my reservations with some of those reviews (are in his majority from Jazz enthusiasts/lovers)) and maybe no (because the burn in wasn't completed...).
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HFI-780 is terrible as a metal phone, thanks to how excessively recessed the mids are.

Dec 3, 2008 at 9:22 AM Post #20 of 34
No, isn't from my listening impression. It is from soundinista here Which have the 600Ω and had the 250Ω.
In other hand, because of that treble recession; that heaphone (the 600Ω version) can have a little bit more mids that the DT990 250Ω. Which have a little bit more (slightly less mids, present bass and treble in proportion to the mids, especially with bass heavy music...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, whats your listening-impression from the 600Ω version DT990 05? Does it have less treble than the 250Ω version? More mids?

Dec 3, 2008 at 9:22 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Hello everybody
This is my first post here and this has probably been asked more than once, but still.. Here goes.

At this point im using a Logitech 350 USB headset wich is breaking down. For replacement Ive been looking around for some new headphones. This time (far) better quality than the 350's since i got more demanding on sound quality over the last few years.
Found and read hundreds of topics(including head-fi) and still majorly in doubt. Before every1 says i just have to go and listen, i would like some expert opinions to narrow down my list. Im not audiophile but i do want good sound quality.

One requirement is curcumaural and my purpose is metal(black,death,trash,viking and folk/pagan) and games. I know from experience that (too)much bass will ruin almost every metal song.
My current list is as follows:
Beyer DT770
Beyer DT880
Beyer DT990
Sneheiser HD 650
Ultrasone Pro 750/2500
Havent read much about the Ultrasones atm, some1 recommended them. And what is the difference in the the two? Apart form the closed/open back.

Ive been hanging towards the beyer DT880 for its neutrality and detail and it doesnt seem to have much bass compared to the 770 and 990. The sennheiser seems to do wel overall so that one is still in the race

Already decided that i will probably go for the Zero DAC/preamp as i have read only good reviews so far.

Thanks in advance

I've only had DT880/990 and HD650 (old version) from that list.

The HD650 didn't really work out for me. The bass was a bit too loose using my Zero dac/amp, so it didn't work that well for metal. Maybe the new version HD650 would be better but I don't know. I now have HD600 (old version) and I much prefer it to the HD650 with my rig. Both are hard to drive, but the bass of the HD650 did get in the way too much, and since the HD600 have less bass it works better with a low-end rig for me.

The DT990 '05 32ohm had too much treble for my taste, but otherwise it was good.

The DT880 worked well for both gaming and music. I think it's the best one of the three (DT880/DT990/HD650) with a low end rig for both gaming and music.

Don't overlook the HD600 though. I think that even with my Little Dot MKIII the bass of the HD600 is just a tad flabby compared to DT880 though, but both are about equal with metal.

Dec 3, 2008 at 10:18 AM Post #22 of 34
I am also a PC gamer, and heavy rock is also my favourite. For my experience, HD650 is not suitable for heavy rock because of its special tone. DT880 is neutral, and easy to drive, but the bass is a little bit insufficient for metal. If you want neutral and easy to drive, I recommend Denon D2000 or D5000. I am using D5000 for both gaming and music, it is amazing it is suitable for both.

Dec 3, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, according to the Ultrasone HFI-780 Big thread and with my 'brief' experience (that lasted 40 hours in total (because the drivers burn out in the last burn in)). They are/was (in my experience) forward sounding in the mids* and treble and lowest bass....
*...Then all that this people said in that thread is pure bulsh!t?.
Well, maybe so (because i have always my reservations with some of those reviews (are in his majority from Jazz enthusiasts/lovers)) and maybe no (because the burn in wasn't completed...).

WOW What happened for your cans to burn while the burn-in session? too loud music/pink noise?

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #24 of 34
Just called an audio shop in amsterdam(RAF, for those who care) and they have the DT770,880,990 and some lower models. Too bad they dont have denon
frown.gif
They do have sennheiser, AKG and Grado so i might as well test them to see whats the fuss about the grado's and metal
tongue.gif

Maybe ill make a trip there next saturday to listen up, unless i find a store who has denons.
Now i just have to make a decent selection of cd's to torture the phones with.
Im not going for the 32ohm version anyway, not planning on using it with my Iaudio 7.

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HFI-780 is terrible as a metal phone, thanks to how excessively recessed the mids are.

I'll have to completely disagree with that. I have the DT990 and HFI-780 and prefer the 780 for metal, which is all I listen to. In fact, I would say the 780 is as close to my ideal sound as I've ever heard. I still listen to both a lot, but I can't let such a statement as "The HFI-780 is terrible as a metal phone" sit there unchallenged!

Here's what I've tried, so you know what my experience is:
Grado SR60, SR225, SR325i
Ultrasone HFI-700, HFI-780
Sennheiser HD650, HD280-Pro
Beyerdynamic DT770-Pro, DT770 '05, DT990, open Darths

There is no question in my mind that the HFI-780 is the best metal phone of those I've listened to. It's the only one that has enough impact to satisfy me. My brother, on the other hand, prefers his SR60 for metal listening, which is probably a more poplar opinion.

You really can't decide based on reading. It's like someone trying to describe to you their favorite food, which you may hate if you were to try it. If you just want a good headphone and then to never consider the issue again, I suggest the HFI-780, DT990, or SR325i, all of which are great headphones. If you think you will continue to pursue this hobby, get something cheap from one of the lines (like a used DT770 pro or SR60 from the for sale section) to get a flavor for what is known as the "house sound" of each manufacturer. Once you find a house sound that you prefer over all the others, go for one of the higher-end models in that line. That's the way pretty much everyone does it.

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #26 of 34
Too loud music..., but they had a VERY low tolerance to input power compared to that Denons & Sony can handle/bear....
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW What happened for your cans to burn while the burn-in session? too loud music/pink noise?

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Muftobration /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you think you will continue to pursue this hobby, get something cheap from one of the lines (like a used DT770 pro or SR60 from the for sale section) to get a flavor for what is known as the "house sound" of each manufacturer. Once you find a house sound that you prefer over all the others, go for one of the higher-end models in that line. That's the way pretty much everyone does it.

I do think to continue with this hobby. Its a good addition to one of my other hobbies, metal. And i always felt the need to improve the sound im listening too, wether it be portable or home. Every1 around just runs of to grab the 1st ipod they see and i try to find some player that suited me more(thats how i got my iaudio 7 player, love it). Crappy sound is like needing glasses but not having them
beyersmile.png

But im not some1 that settles for less when knowing that there is better to get within the budget....

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #28 of 34
i own or have tried all the headphones you listed in the title. from those, i would pick the pro750s for the applications you've listed.
definitely the best bass of the bunch, closed/isolating, clear, sharp treble, excellent transient response. they're my movie/gaming headphones. they might not be the best for music out of all those headphones, but they are for games/movies.

btw i also prefer the pro750s specifically for most rock genres. i don't listen to metal anymore, so i won't comment on how they fare with that sub-genre.

Dec 4, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Just called an audio shop in amsterdam(RAF, for those who care) and they have the DT770,880,990 and some lower models. Too bad they dont have denon
frown.gif
They do have sennheiser, AKG and Grado so i might as well test them to see whats the fuss about the grado's and metal
tongue.gif

Maybe ill make a trip there next saturday to listen up, unless i find a store who has denons.
Now i just have to make a decent selection of cd's to torture the phones with.
Im not going for the 32ohm version anyway, not planning on using it with my Iaudio 7.

So they don't have any ATHs? I do think you should try them out, cause they are great both for gaming and metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back