Headphone for Jazz Instrumentals
Sep 3, 2007 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BushGuy

Headphoneus Supremus
Grado RS-2 or Alessandro MS Pro? O.K., I have RS-2, but never have heard those MS Pro's. So, I'm talkin' 'bout Miles, Brubeck, Getz, Bill Evans, Andre Previn with Joe Pass, David Finck or Ray Brown as examples. I'll play other stuff with them, but the above would be a primary use.

Sep 3, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #2 of 7
The MS-Pro works just fine for the kind of instrumental jazz you mentioned. I also got the MS-2 - but the Pros just do everything a little better and do add that extra pinch of warmth to acoustic instruments (I use both with flats btw).

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 7
Like your music choices. I'd shoot for the MS-Pros, personally. I started with the SR-80s and went to the MS-1s, RS-1s, and then finally settled on the MS-2s. I think at the end of the day, there was something about the MS-1s and MS-2s that I liked more than the RS-1s and the SR-80s. It retains most of the up front Grado sound and that nice midrange, which are a must. But I did end up enjoying the Alessandros more. Who knows why?

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks guys. I'm going for it and have put of advert. to sell the RS-2. They're a nice pair, so I hope I can get the "traditional style" MS Pros. Recent revisions/simplifications to the RS-1 and 2 scare me. I really don't like what I'm seeing.

Sep 4, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #5 of 7
My k701s are great for jazz, and I think quite a few members here like it for that genre.

Sep 4, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 7
Pls note I'm specifcally focusing on RS-2 vs Alessandro MS Pro.

Sep 8, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 7
Given your choice of music i wouldn't go for either of the phones you list. Try an entry level pair of Stax, im sure you will be surprised how intimate they are with jazz, rock solid soundstage and pure uncoloured sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back