Headphone Extension Cables ???
Dec 31, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by SergioRZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right
wink.gif

Starquad cable is not necessary, might even degrade sound because of increased capacitance this type of cables have. Get just the regular microphone cable from Belden or Klotz (European equivalent to Belden).

I made my extension with Klotz MY206 professional mic cable, and Neutrik plugs. Cheap and as good as it gets!

I have 30' (around 10 meters) extension made of starquad, in the starquad you can use more AWG per conductor and get a bigger gauge, you have four conductors and the shielding, you can sue two pers channel and use the shielding as return, or figure out how to distribute four conductors in two channles, maybe white for left and blue for right, etc....the capacitance? well all cables have, not sure why the Starquad will have more than any other coaxial...but anyway, inm y case the problem was the lengh, I needed more gauge to compensate, so as you will get less resistance due to increase diameter of coductors, I used the 21AWG per channel positive, and the shielding for return...

Dec 31, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have 30' (around 10 meters) extension made of starquad, in the starquad you can use more AWG per conductor and get a bigger gauge, you have four conductors and the shielding, you can sue two pers channel and use the shielding as return, or figure out how to distribute four conductors in two channles, maybe white for left and blue for right, etc....the capacitance? well all cables have, not sure why the Starquad will have more than any other coaxial...but anyway, inm y case the problem was the lengh, I needed more gauge to compensate, so as you will get less resistance due to increase diameter of coductors, I used the 21AWG per channel positive, and the shielding for return...

I would do something similar to this for all extensions. Might as well make use of the shielding.
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #20 of 26
I received my latest set of extensions/adapters from Markertek today. Flawless work, and sonically invisible. Took 'em a week to build and ship, including the holidays.

The new Neutrik 1/4" plug on the 1/4"-1/4" extension is thinner than the old plug, and made just as well -- and it's gold-plated. On the adapter & extension the Canare 1/4" male plugs match the Calrad 1/8" female jacks perfectly, too.

Jan 5, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #22 of 26
That link pointed to something totally different...

The "preassembled" 1/4" stereo male to 1/4" stereo female, with Canare Star Quad cable in black, and Neutrik connectors, is this one. It's not in stock right now. The connectors are the NP3C-B and NJ3FC6-B.

I ordered a slightly different one, with the thinner new male "X" connector, the NP3X-B. A 10 foot run was $25.95. For more on the connectors, go to Neutrik.

Jan 5, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #23 of 26
Of course, if you believe in recabling, you'd want an extension cable of at least the same quality of the cable your using.

No sense in getting a a cardas replacement to an HD-600 and not use a cardas extension. Same thing if you're using a Grado ref cable in your HP-1, wouldn't want to mess with a stock grado extension.

Personally, i thought i could get away with a cheap extension and used a long radio shack cable - good build quality (ran over it with the office chair several times with no problems) but then discovered its horrible sound quality (buy one - there just $15 and try it sometime in a good home set up - no wonder why Tyll at headroom uses it as an example of how cables can affect sound quality).

I've never tried canare for headphones although i used the canrare quad speaker wire from Blues Jeans cables and was less than impressed (even compared to DIY magnet or cat5 cables).

May 29, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #25 of 26
Just discovered this thread via Google - valuable info thanks guys.

For the information of any Australian posters, I discovered a site here who will supply Neutrik connectors and Canare cabling for a DIY task:
http://www.customaudiocables.com.au/
They will also assemble them as will this place:
http://www.guitar-cables-online.com/

I've emailed them both for a quote but expect the first one to be the better choice.

John

May 30, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:
Of course, if you believe in recabling, you'd want an extension cable of at least the same quality of the cable your using.

No sense in getting a a cardas replacement to an HD-600 and not use a cardas extension. Same thing if you're using a Grado ref cable in your HP-1, wouldn't want to mess with a stock grado extension.

Personally, i thought i could get away with a cheap extension and used a long radio shack cable - good build quality (ran over it with the office chair several times with no problems) but then discovered its horrible sound quality (buy one - there just $15 and try it sometime in a good home set up - no wonder why Tyll at headroom uses it as an example of how cables can affect sound quality).

I've never tried canare for headphones although i used the canrare quad speaker wire from Blues Jeans cables and was less than impressed (even compared to DIY magnet or cat5 cables).

My thinking is that the advantage of great headphone cables is that they either don't degrade sound as badly as a stock cable, or they intentionally color the sound through "well engineered inferiority" at the cable (capacitance/impedance differences etc.)  Thus, to me, any extension cable of sufficient true neutrality such as the Belden stock up to the point of your headphone cable shouldn't sound any different than your headphone cable right at the jack.  Whatever colored magic the cable works will still work be it altering the signal via coloration or simply not altering the signal via coloration compared to stock. 

I could be wrong, but that's the way I view it.  I also keep my signal chain ICs as neutral as possible...all Belden stuff. I save the color-cable for the final run to the speakers/headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back