headphone, durable, blocks noise, <100 dollars?
Oct 30, 2008 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Zida

500+ Head-Fier
Hey, ive been using this forum scarcely for the last few years when looking to pick up new headphones, but this is my first time making a post.

i live in toronto and started going to school downtown, so im taking the subway and a bus twice a day, because of this i need a new pair of headphones that can block out a lot of noise. i used to have a pair of AKG K26P's (before they broke) which were pretty good for the job, but now i think im looking for something with more quality to it (and maybe less crazy amounts of bass). Oh, and this reminds me, i need something pretty durable. until my current headphones i used to go through maybe 2 pairs a year (primarily a couple koss ksc75s, various random earbuds, and the ever classic Panasonic Shockwave)

so, start suggesting me some headphones, not earbuds or IEMs (they urk me :p), which have some pretty good noise cancelling and some nice sound quality, preferably under (or around) 100 dollars.
redface.gif

it's so far going to be wired into a Creative Zen Vision: M, without an amp, but i will be looking to get a new mp3 player too in the not so distant future (and maybe an amp when i learn what theyre really for :p).
I listen to rock and modern rock-type musics. Oh, and im looking for these to be portable(ish) since i already have a nice pair of Grado SR-80's for home use
biggrin.gif
. my current portable headphones are panasonic hg-20's incase anyone is wondering

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 36
I have the feeling that your best bet is still the AKG K414Ps. You could EQ it to tone down the bass, or (and this is a bit odd), I've found that the Fiio E3 tightens the bass up. YMMV, though.

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 36
i just checked ebay for the k414p and it seems to have basically doubled in price since changing its name. are they actually any different or is it actually just a new name (in which case id try and find some guy to solder on a new headphone jack to my k26p's). as well i read in a review that some guy tried to wear in his k414p's by blasting music out of it for a few days straight and said that the bass was more tight and tamed afterwards. if anyone has had similar experience i might try doing this if i get these repaired.

and i looked into that fiio e3: an 8 dollar headphone amp? needless to say i was a little surprised. would more of you recommend this as a decent headphone amp, or was it just recommended because it was cheap?

anyways, im still open to suggestions of new headphones if anyone has any for me (note: i dont need them to be as small as the k26p's, those are just what i used to own)

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 36
The K414Ps are supposed to be an updated version, I think. That is, AKG tweaked them a little, but I don't know the details. My K26Ps didn't change much after burn-in, I don't think, so I don't expect the K414Ps to either.

The ES5s are $100, aren't they? Does anyone know how they sound yet? The ES7s aren't particularly isolating cans, but they looks a heckuvalot better than the K414Ps.

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
audio technica ATH-ES5 or maybe a used pair of ES7.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f13/re...th-fc7-188842/
this review made it sound like the ath-es5 wouldnt really be for me. im looking for something with more noise isolation since i dont like having to pump the volume (and im sure the people next to me don't either)

I'm sorry, I haven't got a clue.: Audio-Technica ATH-ES7
this review got me a little excited about the es7's, but said that it's isolation isnt quite the greatest. seeing as my only experience in noise isolating headphones is the AKG k26p/k414p, if anyone has owned or tried both the AKG and the ATH-ES7, how do they compare in terms of isolation?

edit: and when i said <100 dollars i really should have said ~100 dollars, i was just hoping someone knew of a magical headphone that cost like 50 bucks that would be nice and big and noise isolating with great SQ :p
and, though i could try to get my k26p's repaired, i would like to try for a better headphone. I dont consider myself a real audiophile by any means (i listen to mp3's and use grado sr-80's, which im told are only entry-level audiophile), but i would still like a nice high quality headphone

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 36
Maybe you should try to find a used Sennheiser HD25 or a HD280 Pro. Both isolate very well and are durable. Both do have a pretty high clamping force so you might find them to be uncomfortable. I can wear one for 8 hours straight though.

The HD280 lacks some bass impact. If you're a basshead you probably won't like these very much.

The HD25 is a lot better than the 280, but you would have to get a used one to stay within your budget.

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #8 of 36
those HD25's are definetly being taken into consideration if i find one cheap enough (i cant have my outdoor heaphones be double the price of my indoor headphones, can i? :p), but does anyone know the differences between the various HD25 models?
and how would you guys compare the sennheiser HD280 to the ATH-ES7. so far im leaning towards the es7 just cause they look like theyll fit better into my bag, but id be more interested in how they compare in a less superficial manner :p

also, i found a pair of HD25 on ebay here:
SENNHEISER HD25 HD25SP CLOSED STUDIO HEADPHONES W/WTY - (eBay.ca item 380075758878 end time 23-Nov-08 15:44:46 EST)
that i'd definetly consider buying, but do you guys think i should beware? do people fake these headphones?
edit: ive looked very breifly into the HD25SP and it seems its the same as the other hd25, the only difference being the look of it? if its only that they look less bitching then im cool with that. if they sound less bitchin i need to think about it :p

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #9 of 36
Actually I was referring to the HD25 and not the HD25SP. The latter is noticeably worse. The HD25 goes for around $170 new, which is why I mentioned that you would have to get them used in order to say within your budget.

The differences between a regular HD25 and a HD25II is that you get some additional (velour) earpads and a little bag with the HD25II. That's it. No more differences between those two. The difference between a regular HD25 and a HD25SP is that the latter sounds worse. A lot. Less detail, less bass impact, less frequency extension. Worse. I'm not even sure why they bothered making it.

I can't comment on the ES7 since I haven't heard it long enough. I think it would be reasonable to say that according to most people here it's overall a better headphone than the HD280 soundwise. It doesn't isolate as well though. You can try searching because there have been quite a few topics on them.

Edit: From looking at the HD25II box it seems there is another difference between the HD25 and the HD25II. You'll get a 'Screw-on jack adaptor 3.5mm to 6.3mm' as well. Great stuff!
rolleyes.gif

Oct 31, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #10 of 36
lol, ok thanks a lot for your input EnOYiN. looks like im not gonna pick up those $100 HD25SPs then. i guess ill start looking for some used HD25's, anyone have any suggestions as for where to look?*

as a fallback im leaning towards the ES7's, but would still like some input on their noise isolation. i'd hate to lose my hearing as a result of picking the ES7's over the HD280's (and if they suck at noise isolation as much as my panasonics do right now, then thats definetly gonna be the case).

im as well still definetly open to more suggestions and further input on any of the headphones mentioned.
and thanks to everyone for being as helpful as they have so far!

*other than the obvious ebay and craigslist and head-fi forum, that is. but for that matter, any ideas why i cannot make a post in a the head-fi sale/trade forum?

Oct 31, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zida /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol! how do you continue to be so helpful! xD

It's not common for me either, but I had pancakes this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back