Headphone Dilemma - Please Help!!
Aug 3, 2011 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Windyridge4

New Head-Fier
Hey all,
 I'm looking to get a fairly decent pair of headphones and am stuck between a few pairs. Could anyone please give me some pointers on which of the following is best as I am only a new audiophile :p
 So far, I'm looking at:

Pioneer HDJ-1000 DJ

[size=1.7em] Sennheiser PXC 450 NoiseGard Active Noise-Canceling Headphones[/size]

[size=1.7em] Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones[/size]
[size=1.7em] Sennheiser HD595 Dynamic High Grade Performance Premiere Headphones (possibly the HD 598 but apparently there isn't much of a difference except from the price and dodgy styling)[/size]
[size=1.7em]  If anyone reading this has any suggestions or experiences with these headphones or any others, please comment. My budget CAN stretch to about €300 if they are exceptionally good, otherwise I'd prefer it to be under €200/$280ish dollars. My music taste is mixed, but veered towards electronic and rock so bass would be a large factor, so again, closed cup would probably be best althogh I'd be partial to either. Main input device is my iPhone with fairly crappy bitrate MP3s so if they are exceptionally harsh then that'd be another factor. Comfort is an added extra, but not overly important.[/size]
[size=1.7em]  [/size]
Thanks so much for reading this and I hope I've supplied all necessary information, if not please comment.
[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Aug 3, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 13
Are you going to be using these outside your house, or are they for strictly at home listening? If you're going to listen to them outside the house, then the 595's would definitely be the wrong choice, as they leak a ton of sound, and from what I've heard they're not particularly strong on the lows. Since you want bass, I would suggest the M50's. They're what's generally recommended when people want strong bass. There are two models of the M50 though I believe, one with heavier bass, and one with lighter bass, so you have to watch out for that if that's what you're looking for. I believe the ones with heavy bass have a spiral cord, as opposed to the straight cords of the others, but I'm not sure. The M50's are also well below your budget, leaving you with a lot of extra spending cash. 

Aug 3, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 13
I'm sure it would help, but for the M50's I don't think it's very necessary. Also, you say you mainly listen to low bitrate songs, so an amp probably wouldn't have as much effect, since the initial bitrate is already so low. 

Aug 3, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 13
You can get Hd598s for $180 shipped which gives you a lot of extra cash for source components.  But if you are going to use them outside/on the go then they are not right for you:/

Aug 4, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #6 of 13
Okay, so the sennheisers seem to be out of the picture then, and the M50s are looking very very good at this stage..... do they leak much or are they fine for public transport and stuff because portability an stuff does play a part??
many thanks again, 
windyridge4

Aug 4, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #7 of 13
they don't leak, have a detachable cable and foldable. however it's a bit bulky and got a coiled cable so you'll look a bit ugly if you use it as a portable. it's nice for a transportable though

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 13
Consider the Denon AH-D1100.

Great bass, "around the ear", very comfortable.

They are also portable and will suit your musical preferences too.

They don't require amplification.

Aug 4, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #9 of 13
Have you checked the Ultrasones HFI 580 or DJ1? I've never tried them, but people who have them say you can't go wrong with them, if you're looking for good bass and details.

Here the DJ1 is 138 euros, so you could still get the E11 amp.

Aug 8, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #10 of 13
Thanks again all for commenting, @flavouz just looked up the DJ1 and god they look good 8¬O do you have them/any experience with them??? oh and @erod, would the 2000's be better than 1100's or are they about the same..?
Many, many thanks again,
 Windyridge4

Aug 8, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #11 of 13
No, but a guy here said it's much better than the M50 (he has both).

There's a good review of the HFI-580 here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/538289/review-hfi-580-vs-pro-900-vs-dt770-pro-80-comparison (and according to Ultrasone, the only difference between the DJ1 and the HFI-580 is the cord - it's coiled in the former and straight in the latter)

Quote:
Thanks again all for commenting, @flavouz just looked up the DJ1 and god they look good 8¬O do you have them/any experience with them??? oh and @erod, would the 2000's be better than 1100's or are they about the same..?
Many, many thanks again,
 Windyridge4

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #12 of 13
The D2000 are much better from what I've read here. Haven't tried them, but I do intend to at some point. Might be my next upgrade, actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back