Headphone dilemma (IEMs or HD580's)
Mar 31, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #16 of 25
Hm, so a lot of advice to just get the PX100 or PortaPros. The isolation would be nice, but it's tempting.
OTOH, I don't listen to my nano much except for at home, strangely enough. OTOOH (other, other hand), my lifestyle is going to change dramatically after I graduate so....

Alright, interview time. Enough headphone distraction for another hour!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Ari

Mar 31, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #18 of 25
Hm. Had some more time to mull it over. Read some reviews of the UE3 and the ER-6i's. The isolation on the ER-6 seems like it would be incredible for traveling but less so for everyday use. The SQ on both seems like it's very good but still not at the level of the 580. I still find myself yearning for the 580.
Maybe I'll buy the 580 now used and then buy the ER6 with my signing bonus if I decide to go into consulting? I know that's more money than I said originally, but these things have a way of breaking budgets, don't they...
580smile.gif

Have to think on it s'more.
Ari

Mar 31, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #19 of 25
Personal opinion, but I think you're going backwards. The IEM would probably suit you better for more situations so if it was me I'd start there. Get the 580's when you've got some extra cash to blow on a second pair of cans.

FWIW, I think the 3 Studio would pair very well with your nano. The ER6i might be a little on the thin side. On the other hand, if detail is your thing the ER6i might be a bit better.

Apr 1, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #20 of 25
I started with the ER4S and HD580's over 10 years ago and recently upgraded to the HD650's. They each have their place. I prefer the HD650's at home; I like the comfort and it is easier to be "interrupted". You can't beat he ER4-S for portability; I use them for travel. I build my own amps so I built a portable amp with bass boost because I think the ER4s are a little lacking in deep lower bass.

Overall I think I prefer the HD650's but it might be a matter of taste. The total of these is beyond your current price point but it might give you food for thought for your future growth path.

Apr 1, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsk3
Thus the dilemma. Compactness or sonic bliss.
Ari

Sonic bliss.........don't settle for less.
You'll find something for the road when the time comes.
From the tone of your posts, you won't be satisfied with less anyway.
580smile.gif

Give headroom a call about the older model Airhead/580 combo.
I know they work fine with the Total Airhead.
Enjoy............
Jim

~

Apr 1, 2006 at 11:50 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jim580
Sonic bliss.........don't settle for less.
From the tone of your posts, you won't be satisfied with less anyway.

Is it really that obvious? I find myself yearning for them. Oy.
Ari

Apr 1, 2006 at 11:59 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsk3
Is it really that obvious? I find myself yearning for them. Oy.
Ari

IMO that's always a sign you've found the right headphone, if you're really lusting after 'em. I've never been disappointed myself, following intuition this way.

Apr 1, 2006 at 12:36 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
IMO that's always a sign you've found the right headphone, if you're really lusting after 'em. I've never been disappointed myself, following intuition this way.

Yeah. Just spent some time listening to a bunch of classical on my current Sonys, and I just can't imagine really sitting down and listening to it with IEMs. Pretty sure I'm decided on the 580's still, and just use the Sonys for pop/rock (which aren't terribly high-quality rips anyway). Maybe if I'm traveling a lot I'll get some IEMs with more isolation then.

Ari

Aug 17, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #25 of 25
A good rig for being portable with an iPod is the line out cable many have for sale into a PA2V2 with the Sennheiser HD580. That will sound quite good and be easily portable. The one thing I reccomend though with the HD580 is that you wrap up the cable with a twist tie as the cable is too long normally for portable. Upgrade the iPod with Rockbox and go gapless FLAc for your higher quality sources. Also you can use Ogg Vorbis at q 9 for when it's ok to be lossless. Ogg ot q 9 will blow away mp3/aac at 320k. Some people say to try q 10. I'm ok with q 9.

You might be able to find a good used PA2V2 here and ebay is a good place for the HD580. I know this is all more then your budget may allow at the moment, but in the end, you'll love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back