Headphone damage from high volume?
Mar 29, 2004 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Ezer

Head-Fier
I'm really happy with a pair of HD580's that I just bought. But when replacing my old computer speakers with them, I also forgot to lower the volume. The volume sounded fine at max for the speakers, but with the headphones they were loud enough to make me rip them off in a second and leave a slight ache in my ears
frown.gif

Luckily, the aching has gone away now, but I've heard headphones can be damaged if played at too high of a volume? Should I be worried about this? Note: I'm one of those people that are paranoid/obsessive with new expensive purchases
cool.gif

Mar 29, 2004 at 9:49 AM Post #2 of 11
Any equipment can be blown when overload what it supposed to support. If you unplugged it quickly enough like you said, it might not do any harm yet. Just consider it a quick burn-in, then.
smily_headphones1.gif

You should be worried more about your ear. That, you cannot replace at any price. Good luck and be careful then.

Mar 29, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 11
take care of your ears and get an amp.
then send the signal into it. that way you won't be blowing up your eardrums anytime soon
Also headphones unless they have very low impedance and high sensitivity do not get damaged that easily
the diaphragm might stretch a bit but won't get damaged so easily
it takesmore than loud volumes to damage them, namely continuous high noise that puts too much stress for prolonged periods.

Mar 29, 2004 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 11
You should be more worried about your ears crappin out than your headphones.

Mar 29, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by MrSiki99
You should be more worried about your ears crappin out than your headphones.

And this is the first post to metion this?! Shame on you all!

Mar 29, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by MD1032
And this is the first post to metion this?! Shame on you all!

No.
The first response by simplelife did mention this.

Shame on you for not reading throughly.
tongue.gif

Mar 29, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 11
The threshold of pain in humans is about 120dB, and the sennheisers can go higher. I wouldn't worry about that damaging them. They are able to withstand quite high SPLs.

Cheers,
Geek

Users who are viewing this thread

Back