Headphone (+dac/amp) recommendation for 800 USD
Feb 13, 2022 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

LukeValenti

New Head-Fier
Hello there! I'm looking to upgrade my 58x, my budget is about 800 USD,and I'm open to buying used equipment.

I originally upgraded from Senns HD 559, as I was blown away by the foward mids of the brand, however, I'm ready for the "next level". I would like for an open back headphone with more detail and better separation, and a bit more bass if possible. As I stated, I really like the Senn's fowardness, but I wouldn't mind trying something new, as long as it is suitable for long listening sessions.

I currently use them connected directly to my Asrock b450 Steele 3.5 jack, it uses realtek's 1200 DAC if im not wrong, ideally DAC/AMP should be included if needed, but only if it doesn't hurt the budget too much, headphone quality is my priority. If that's not possible, I prefer to only buy the headphones and wait a bit more before acquiring the AMP & DAC.

A friend of mine is on vacation in Pennsylvania,US until march, and he's buying the pair for me, but I'm from Argentina, so I would like to avoid models with known QC and overall quality issues, the headphones have to last for years.
I mainly listen to rock(and all it's derivatives), and some pop. Some exaple albums are:

Pink Floyd's Dark side of the moon / Shine on you(THIS mostly) / Animals / The wall
The Beatles - White Album
Yes - Fragile (THIS one too)
Queen's - A night at the opera
Paul Simon - Graceland
And some The Police, Bowie, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Michael Jackson, Led Zep, ELO, etc..

Thanks in advance!

Feb 13, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #2 of 28
In this budget would be the Sundara and Schiit/FiiO K5 Pro/iFi Zen Dac/JDS Atom. Hifiman isn't known for the best quality, but I have not seen many issues with the Sundara, and there are a lot of them out there. A bigger concern might be the stuff from Schiit--I've had an amp go up in smoke in less than a year. It's not common, but there are reports of it happening to others.

Feb 13, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #3 of 28
Feb 13, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 28
For rock at that budget I'd look at The Drop/Sennheiser 6xx+ an entry level OTL.

Another option would be a Grado headphone. Grados are fantastic for rock music. However, the comfort isn't the greatest.

Feb 13, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #6 of 28
If your friend is in or around Philadelphia or will be near there, then there is a HD800 for $650 that is a short drive away ( just meet at a Starbucks or police station):

https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/ele/d/jackson-audeze-sennheiser/7443089579.html

Also, some roast pork roll places in Philly that I wished I had visited:

https://www.inquirer.com/philly-tips/best-roast-pork-philadelphia-20210817.html
Nice find! Thanks for sharing!

Any advice on what should I tell my friend to look out for when testing the headphones?(considering he doesn't know a thing about the topic)

Also, any amp/dac recommendation for that pair? less than $400 if possible.

Feb 13, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #7 of 28
In this budget would be the Sundara and Schiit/FiiO K5 Pro/iFi Zen Dac/JDS Atom. Hifiman isn't known for the best quality, but I have not seen many issues with the Sundara, and there are a lot of them out there. A bigger concern might be the stuff from Schiit--I've had an amp go up in smoke in less than a year. It's not common, but there are reports of it happening to others.
Would that really be the best I can get for the money? I was thinking about the edition XS + some decent DAC/AMP combo if I were to go with HiFiMan's.

Feb 13, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 28
Would that really be the best I can get for the money? I was thinking about the edition XS + some decent DAC/AMP combo if I were to go with HiFiMan's.
I was just being conservative in the budget. The XS is a good option.

Feb 13, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #9 of 28
Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #10 of 28
I see, but is it realy and upgrade coming from the 58x's?

Yes, and it scales greatly with better and better amps.

Any advice on what should I tell my friend to look out for when testing the headphones?(considering he doesn't know a thing about the topic)

Also, any amp/dac recommendation for that pair? less than $400 if possible.

HD 800 is a big mistake for the music you mentioned. Don't do it, Buddy.

I could suggest Audeze LCD-2C which sounds great with most music and doesn't need much amp.

Feb 13, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #11 of 28
Feb 13, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #12 of 28
Honestly, IDK hermanno, haven't tried it. it's just that its a highly recommended HP.

We have the same tastes in music and I have a heavily modded Oppo PM-2 (Audio Zenith) as can that I like but its over budget. There's a PM-3 however in the classifieds if you want to get that route.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #13 of 28
HD 800 is a big mistake for the music you mentioned. Don't do it, Buddy.

I could suggest Audeze LCD-2C which sounds great with most music and doesn't need much amp.
I see, I had this idea that the 800/800s are like the ultimate HD 600, but seems it's not like that at all when I started reading reviews and forum discussions.

I was also thinking about the lcd2 with fazors, would you say it's worth the price difference? Or even an used pair of LCD X(but I would plug them directly to my PC for a while, until I can afford some AMP/DAC combo).

Anyway, what AMP/DAC would you suggest if I go for the LCD 2Cs?

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #14 of 28
I see, I had this idea that the 800/800s are like the ultimate HD 600, but seems it's not like that at all when I started reading reviews and forum discussions.

Right, Sennheiser model numbering doesn't always go in order of how good they are, more like various categories of sound signatures. The HD 800 is a great set of cans, but they're not as widely useful as a pair of 600s, which is one of the best headphones for any amount of money.

I was also thinking about the lcd2 with fazors, would you say it's worth the price difference? Or even an used pair of LCD X(but I would plug them directly to my PC for a while, until I can afford some AMP/DAC combo).

I haven't heard the LCD-2F or the X. There are big threads on those here though.

Anyway, what AMP/DAC would you suggest if I go for the LCD 2Cs?

If you can afford the RME ADI-2 DAC FS which is about 1,000 euros/dollars it will drive the 2Cs beautifully and is a great DAC for building a system around. If you get headphones that it doesn't drive well (HD 600, 800 etc) later you can add an amp.

Feb 13, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #15 of 28
The ultimate HD 600 is what I have an Audio Zenith PMx2 (well, on its time but still give a run for their money on some of the current TOTL cans). There is one i think still available in the classifieds. If you are after that sound grab it. Its rare to show in the FS section. Easy to drive.

Dedicated Thread

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back