Headphone CSD waterfall plots
Apr 11, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #918 of 937

Beat that for stock channel matching.

I wonder, how is it that these mid-range headphones from the '70s and '80s still today have better-matched drivers than do our present-day overpriced mid- and high-range phones?

Apr 11, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #919 of 937
How? Made in China + 1000% profit.
wink.gif

May 7, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #923 of 937
Dunno, seems similar to Tyll's plots when uncompensated. What do you get if you remove the artificial ear?

EDIT: Actually it does look a little bit like Tyll's compensated plots but yours have a bit more energy in the tremble (about 5 dB.)

May 7, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #924 of 937
My raw uncompensated graph looks very much like Tyll's raw one except with more treble between 5 and 9 kHz or so. I think my measurements do tend to emphasize the treble past 5 kHz by some dB, but even then these K 701 do have a treble peak around 7 kHz for sure since I can hear it as well.

The bass measures more like the Q 701, which is curious.

May 8, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #925 of 937
Another measurement of the K 701 today, done the same way as before.

More or less the exact same as last time, but the big peak at 7 kHz is gone. I took a couple measurements from different ear positions and the peak was missing from all. Guesses?

No burning in was attempted, I played maybe 20 minutes of music through them since the last measurement. Measurement error on the first one is possible, but would be odd that a peak at a certain location would be the only difference.

May 9, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #928 of 937
Quote:

More or less the exact same as last time, but the big peak at 7 kHz is gone. I took a couple measurements from different ear positions and the peak was missing from all. Guesses?

No burning in was attempted, I played maybe 20 minutes of music through them since the last measurement. Measurement error on the first one is possible, but would be odd that a peak at a certain location would be the only difference.

Did you use the same signal during the second measurement that was used before ? 

May 9, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #929 of 937
Maybe because these drivers are more complex and expensive and so they don't want to pick only the best matching ones and throw the rest away? Instead of taking some very well matching and some badly matching pairs, maybe they choose them to get a more consistent matching even if that means overall worse matching?

edit: CSD "measurements" usually are done with special signals, not music.

May 9, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #930 of 937
Quote:

It is possible to have measurement variability in the high frequency region depending both on position, pad pressure, and mic placement.

Interestingly, only that particular region seems different, the rest seems in line with your previous results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back