headphone confusion! (again im affraid) need help buying new cans
Nov 20, 2012 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

zombie medic

Head-Fier
Hello everyone iv been searching around the Internet for a decent pair of headphones for xmas. The ones that i found that i am now thinking of getting are the AudioTechnica A900X. iv heard good things about them but I'm still not sure if i should get them or if i should keep looking. I still simply dont know what i should do. I dont want to sound like a broken record but i still need some help looking for a pair of cans because well i dont want to screw this up. I listen to rock,electronica,emo,screamo,dubstep and heavymetal all of this will be coming from unamped sources mainly because i dont have the money to spend on a external amplifer (like fiio). My budget is around $200-260 thanks in advance!

Nov 20, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Hello everyone iv been searching around the Internet for a decent pair of headphones for xmas. The ones that i found that i am now thinking of getting are the AudioTechnica A900X. iv heard good things about them but I'm still not sure if i should get them or if i should keep looking. I still simply dont know what i should do. I dont want to sound like a broken record but i still need some help looking for a pair of cans because well i dont want to screw this up. I listen to rock,electronica,emo,screamo,dubstep and heavymetal all of this will be coming from unamped sources mainly because i dont have the money to spend on a external amplifer (like fiio). My budget is around $200-260 thanks in advance!

Heya,

If this is for home use, the AudioTechnica A900X would be excellent for you.

Others for consideration:

Beyer DT770 PRO
Ultrasone HFI 580
Ultrasone PRO 750
AKG K167
AKG K550
Sennheiser HD380 PRO
Shure SRH840
Sony MDRZX700

But ultimately, the A900X is fantastic, does everything you're after, without an amp, for the low side of your budget.

Very best,

Nov 20, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 7
I have the A900Xs. Your research has led you to a good choice, as long as they are not for portable use. They are pretty bulky to wear outside the house. 

Nov 20, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 7
Ultrasone does a good job with the genres listed, go and have a listen to them..thank me later 
tongue.gif

Nov 20, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 7
I've read multiple threads saying the Ultrasones aren't terribly comfortable to wear for extended periods. Do you find them to be comfy fabio?

I'm using DT770's and find them to be very good sound quality wise, and I can wear them 8 hours a day at work with ease.

Just something to consider. I don't have experience with the A900 unfortunately.

Nov 20, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
I've read multiple threads saying the Ultrasones aren't terribly comfortable to wear for extended periods. Do you find them to be comfy fabio?
I'm using DT770's and find them to be very good sound quality wise, and I can wear them 8 hours a day at work with ease.
Just something to consider. I don't have experience with the A900 unfortunately.

The velour padded PRO series by Ultrasone are as comfortable to wear about as Beyers are.

The leather padded HFI models (not all are leather, some have velour) and the leather padded PRO series are less comfortable. At least to me. No less comfortable however than any other standard leather padded headphone.

Very best,

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #7 of 7
The headband on Ultrasones for some people is a bit uncomfortable, but nothing that cannot be fixed. You can make a simple and cheap mod to increase comfort. 

Personally i never had comfort issues. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back