Headphone category at Audiogon?
Apr 21, 2004 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Wmcmanus

President treasurer secretary and sole member of the Cayman Islands Head-Fi Club.
Apr 21, 2004 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 15
I had to respond to that
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 1:09 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
Thanks for the heads up there. I went over and added to the positive side.

yep, me too
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 1:20 PM Post #6 of 15
Guess I haven't posted there before as after posting I got the message:

Your submission is pending moderator approval. Moderators should be able to review your post within 4-8 hours on most days.

600smile.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 3:24 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Guess I haven't posted there before as after posting I got the message:

Your submission is pending moderator approval. Moderators should be able to review your post within 4-8 hours on most days.

Nope, that is business as usual around there. They really get heavily into the moderating over there. Probably not appropriate to comment in depth, but they will scrap anything that might ruffle any feathers particularly of anyone that is a business partner.

Apr 21, 2004 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Nope, that is business as usual around there.

Yep. At one point, Audiogon did away with the Forums completely, IIRC. That didn't go over well, so they returned, but heavily moderated. All posts go through a moderator before they appear.

Apr 21, 2004 at 4:37 PM Post #10 of 15
guess my contribution was seen as too controversial, since i sited headfi and pointed them to the statistics provided by alexa, and told them that if you go by those numbers they would find quite a great interest in headphones, but i guess that was a little much for them. too bad.

Apr 21, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Nope, that is business as usual around there. They really get heavily into the moderating over there. Probably not appropriate to comment in depth, but they will scrap anything that might ruffle any feathers particularly of anyone that is a business partner.

Ouch! I really don't like that kind of censorship...it's a bit difficult to conduct a debate when half of the responses or votes are edited out...
rolleyes.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Ouch! I really don't like that kind of censorship...it's a bit difficult to conduct a debate when half of the responses or votes are edited out...
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, I used to spend quite a bit of time over there, mostly becaue it was politer than AudioAsylum, but the censorship finally got to me...
mad.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #13 of 15
It would be nice to have a separate section just for headphones. People don't know where to post their cans for sale, and they end up all over the place.

Thanks for the heads-up Wayne.

Apr 21, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #14 of 15
I went and checked. My post made it through the censors
biggrin.gif

I was thinking that maybe they don't have enough headphone ads because nobody knows where to place the ad. Then if you do place one, some folks,(like me) don't know where to look for them. So, the result is low sales numbers which discourages the posting of ads.

I tried to convey that thought in my post, in an abbreviated way.

Apr 22, 2004 at 5:14 AM Post #15 of 15
I'm just now coming back to this thread and must say that I'm quite impressed with the responses. It didn't occur to me that we could/should toss votes in favor of having a seperate headphone category, but it sure does make a lot of sense to do so. (Of course, it our 'vote stacking' efforts were overdone, this would become obvious.) In essence, we represent small subsector of the Audiogon population, and we're saying, "Hey, there really is something to this aspect of the audio hobby, and you folks don't know what you're missing."

My initial thinking wasn't that we should attempt to change how Audiogon members think, but rather to observe how they reacted to the thought of a headphone category (and to poke fun of their ignorance). Yet, to the extent that we can stimulate the level of interest in headphones at Audiogon, there may well be positive ripple effects at head-fi.

I'm now at the point where I won't even think about listening to any new recording more than once in my 2 channel system without then checking it out on headphones. Likewise, if I'm dropping in a new interconnect, power cord, source, amp, preamp, or whatever - and am in the process of assessing its sonic characteristics, some form of headphone listening is REQUIRED as an indispensible tool to me as an audiophile. In other words, I can't do without a headphone system any more than I can do without an SPL meter. It so happens that I often prefer headphone listening to 2 channel listening, but even if this were not true, I'd still need a pair of headphones as a monitoring device to do "reality checks" on the improvements brought on by upgrades and tweeks in my 2 channel system. Thus, based on my experience, it is my contention that all audiophiles could benefit by headphone ownership.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back