Headphone cable appreciation thread; show your love for headphone cables.
Aug 5, 2010 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 101

beeman458

500+ Head-Fier
I received a set of custom headphone cables yesterday from Double Helix Cables.  And considering all the negativity on different forums by all the anti-cable guys, I thought it would be nice to read the positive side of cables, hence the purpose of this appreciation thread, maybe this can even be an; I love my cable thread.

Why?

Cause I love my new headphone cables for what they offer as they enhance the listening experience.

atsmile.gif

What did my new cables do for my HD-650's, without permission from the cable haters?

Opened up individual piano chords.
Tightened up the bass of a kick drum.
Improved the decaying sound of piano and cymbal
Widened the sound stage.
Improved musical instrument placement.
Improved the dynamics of the sound quality.
Reduced the harshness of high notes.
Opened up vocals
In short, overall, improved the whole listening experience.
Oh, and they look really good on the computer table when not being used.

(I'm sure there's more they bring, but I'm just not a good reviewer of sound)

I've recently formed a sense of feeling sorry for those who can't take advantage of the benefits custom headphone cables bring to the listening experience because they can't hear a difference.

I'd love to read what you guys have to write in appreciation of your custom headphone cables.  Now listening to Big Bad Voodoo Daddy: "Big Bad Voodoo Daddy [Interscope.]

beerchug.gif

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 101
These are the cables you were waiting for in the other thread?
I see you finally got them and had a chance to listen to them..great.

Glad they are improving your experience.

Aug 5, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 101

Quote:
They sure are.  Happy camper, I am.

ksc75smile.gif

I am considering getting my HD595's recabled just because they have been run over by the wheels on my chair a few times and they are getting old and warn.
I am not really expecting anything other then a new cable but if I hear from improvements all is great.  I was looking at Soloz cables as they seem to get recommendations around here.

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #5 of 101
Nice. I'm thinking about purchasing another cable (silver) to use with my K702s but I'm not completely sure.There are some other things I'd love to spend money on (DAC and a phone being some of them). 

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #6 of 101
...just because they have been run over by the wheels on my chair a few times and they are getting old and warn.

That'll do it.

Don't know no nothing about Soloz cables.

I sure wish I knew what is considered good headphone sound.  Why would I say something that sounds so lame.  The setup that I'm listening to right now, makes killer sound.  I'm very pleased with the sound quality.  I'm just worried that I'm happy as a pig in slop, and don't know it.

tongue.gif

A few weeks ago, I heard some expensive bookshelf speakers and all I could do was listen in silence because they sounded so bad.  And then the sales person sat me in front of a $55k vinyl system and put some jazz on.  Oh, holy wow Batman!  That wasn't nice of him.

duggehsmile.png

But when I put a Johnny Cash album on the computer, it's like he's in the room with me.  People talk about their hate for custom cables yet the cables do what they're suppose to, improve the sound quality.  I guess some won't be happy until I buy an expensive DAC, separate tube amp with balanced custom cables and a HD-800 attached at a cost of some $5k.  This as opposed to allowing me to simply enjoy the custom headphone cables I ordered.  And the anti-cable crowd says they're the ones looking out for my wallet.

???

I have to admit, their negativity has gotten to me in a hateful way where it makes one want to pull out an ugly stick and beat them every time they think it's okay to attack your happiness.

mad.gif

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #8 of 101
What are the other components in your rig?

ASUS, Xonar STX, a new power supply, custom 10' Double Helix Cables attached to a Sen HD-650 listening to Red Book CD standard music ripped at 192Kbps, played back at 44.1kHz.

ph34r.gif

The thesis of the sojourn was no boxes on the computer table allowed so as to keep additional clutter down.

happy_face1.gif

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #10 of 101
No, because I ripped them at 192Kbps so they're pretty much the same size files as they are on the CD.  My understanding, no compression.

Never did a lossy comparison.  I read that lossy was bad, so I didn't go there.  Sooooo, no sonic differences.

What's your thinking?

By the way, does anybody have any appreciation they'd like to show for their headphone cables?

???

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #12 of 101
Not a clue.

As I wrote, they're about the same size file, by a few bytes, as what's on the CD.  So if there's any lossy going on, it's only by a few hundred bytes.  A 2:15 minute recording is 3.1mb.  A 4:01 minute recording is 5.5mb.  A 4:28 minute recording is 6.1mb.

???

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #14 of 101
How large should files be?  They're just a bunch of various Red Book standard CD's purchased used at a used CD store.

Where are you going with the questions?

???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back