1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Headphone Burn-in

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by robeats, Jan 8, 2011.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
  1. gregorio

Yep, it sounds completely ridiculous to any rational, moderately intelligent/educated person doesn't it? That's the whole point of what castleofargh is trying to get across to you about what you are saying! The difficulty comes when someone is a member of a community dedicated to vampires and chicken legs, For them, talking about chicken legs and vampires is what they do all the time, it's their normal behaviour, so it it does not sound ridiculous to them and they don't even consider the fact that they're being completely irrational but to everyone else outside that community, they sound like complete nutters. So it is with the audiophile community!

If you are going to use the word "definitely" then at the absolute minimum there needs to be overwhelming reliable evidence for it and none against but preferably there needs to be concrete proof. You don't have concrete proof, you don't even have any reliable evidence and, your claim appears to fly in the face of known evidence/science. Ergo, you are either deliberately lying/trolling or you have no idea what the word "definitely" means!

So now you're demonstrating that you have no idea about basic mechanical design. Some mechanical devices, such as combustion engines, involve touching metal surfaces moving at high speed against each another and are specifically designed and manufactured to require a "run-in" period to allow those surfaces to conform to each other. Other mechanical devices, which also involve significant friction between surfaces, are often designed to be slightly tight to start with, so that a little initial wear brings them into optimal tolerance rather than causing them to fail. ... Do headphones or amps contain internal combustion engines? Do they contain any other high friction surfaces critical for operation? What has any of this got to do with amps and headphones then? ... Why do so many audiophiles feel compelled to throw simple logic, reason and basic education out of the window?

G

2. krismusic Contributor
    As it happens, modern car engines do not need running in.
    To me the car analogy is the audiophile equivalent of siting nazis in an Internet argument! :wink:

3. Giogio
    The fact that something can't be proven doesn't mean it's not true.
    Surely not 100% false.
    Maybe some people exaggerate a bit about the precision of their burn in, maybe its effectiveness is very inconstant from HP to HP, but something is surely there.
    Saying that it is all bulls... is as wrong as saying it's all true and predictable.

If somebody points his finger at the moon to show you how beautiful she is, would you watch the moon or the finger?
    Analogies are never perfect. They're just analogies.
    Go trekking one weekend with a just bought pair of trekking boots and then tell me how you like the analogy and how you wish you had given them a time to settle.
    Life is not an exact science.
    Yet we are all living.

4. castleofargh Contributor
    I wish we could discuss actual burn-in. when it's a thing, if it's a thing, how can we verify it's happening? then and only then, what could be the causes and can we do something about it?
    instead of spending so much time discussing empty stuff made up by people who ignore how hearing, memory, and deduction really work.

if someone wants to send me 1 or 2(depending on what we're testing)new pairs of whatever headphone that supposedly has a big change over time, I'm willing to measure them, and try whatever method of burn-in you think is right vs my chicken leg method or anything else, then measure them both again to check the changes.
    real stuff happening in real life, checked with a mic. not some strange universal recipe to burn in headphones that comes out of nowhere for no reason and does... who knows what.

5. Ruben123

KZ earphones are very cheap (and more than excellent regardless of their price) and should change quite a bit with burn in. They sell from $3.5-5>. You might after the test give them to friends:) they really are good... I should add I think that burn in is nonsense

6. pashhtk27
    Last few days, I've been astonished by the prowess of the brain to adapt to changes. I have an imbalanced pair of earphone, but it sounds good with my music so I couldn't resist using it. It just takes a song, and now even less for my brain to completely adapt to the imbalance.....and the imbalance just disappears. Then afterwards I try my properly working pair and it feels totally imbalanced! Takes a few minutes for brain to readjust again.

This experience made me realize that brain burn in is a major thing. Just sharing. :)

PS: I really should stop using that earphone, feel like my hearing will go worse. Just can't resist. xD

7. castleofargh Contributor
    would that convince anybody of anything? I put myself in the burn-in believer shoes, and I would just feel like the crap tested didn't have the burn in I "heard" on some of my headphones, if the change was inconsequential.

I'm willing to help with the measuring/experimenting side of things if someone doesn't have the means or know how to do it himself, but that's it. I'm not going to waste any money on hypotheticals. I'm not a researcher, and I usually trust what we already know more than empty handed audiophiles.

don't worry, the brain is so clever, it can adapt so that it will change the balance only when it knows you're using the imbalanced headphone.
    I gave my own example once or twice already, often I just watch a video on my computer using the tweeters of my laptop as sound source. but as I'm using a second bigger/better screen, I end up with sounds coming from the right(where the laptop is as I also use another keyboard). I haven't moved those stuff much for 2 years so now when I play a video I don't even notice the sound is on the right, unless I consciously think about it first. but as soon as I use another source or simply real life sounds, my brain switches back to normal.
    I believe it would become a problem if we were to use the bad stuff for 15hours a day to the point where the brain would start to think it is the reality of hearing. but for our usage, we're just fine.

for other senses you can check the smartereveryday bike with the guy learning to ride a bike that steers left when you go right. or the experiments on glasses that put things upside down. the brain will adapt to almost anything because that's what it's been doing all our life, new size when growing up, new hearing when growing old, different weight, different strength..... the brain rocks, but it doesn't care to just obey us. it will do its thing with or without our consent/awareness.
    it's very obviously the reason for almost all burn in testimonies, even if burn in is happening at an audible level 100% of the time under 10hours, the feedbacks we usually read would still come from the wrong reasons. but of course the very posters of those testimonies are the ones who don't get why they shouldn't be so confident(else they would never post with so much confidence on the matter without measurements). but that's just yet another trick of the brain, making us believe that we're better than we are so that we can go on with life.

8. krismusic Contributor
    Deep!

9. harry501501
    I have had Soundmagic HP 100s for 6 months which i used a lot and they've just broken so i bought a new pair. They sound absolutely the same when i had originally thought they'd become less bright over a certain amount of burn-in. Now I'm not daft enough to say that's the end of the argument lol, but i was quite disappointed there hadn't been any change as i had just taken "burn-in" at face value as something that did happen to every pair of headphones/IEMs. i am starting to think it's just your ears adjusting to the sound. e.g. getting used to a fairly bright set of headphones or thinking bass has improved, whereas you've maybe just acclimatized to that signature. Quite an interesting debate all the same.

EDIT : Spelling

10. redone13
    I've always burnt in my speakers.  When I used to be into subwoofers, I'd go extra easy on them at first.  I do the same with my headphones and my tubes, gradually increasing the power level to them.

11. alonbl
    I found an awesome burn-in track:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLGdVXxewMs

12. pinnahertz
    Oh brother.  Just another lame attempt at collecting YouTube views.  A two-hour YouTube video, recorded at 0dBFS, white noise, pink noise, sweeping tones?  Yeah, burn-in is right.  Play it loud enough, it'll be burn-in, burn-up and burn-out.

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10