Headphone broke, is it my fault?
Jan 2, 2013 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Jackula

100+ Head-Fier
Today, my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro LE fell off my coffee table and onto the floor. When I put these headphones back on, the right channel had lost its body - very thin sounding and unable to hear the bass at all below 100hz.

This strikes me really odd because the drop wasn't even more than half a meter, and I've dropped many headphones at greater heights without any noticeable issues.

Do you guys think it's worthwhile to ask to repair this headphone under warranty or would I have just voided the warranty by dropping this?

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
Today, my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro LE fell off my coffee table and onto the floor. When I put these headphones back on, the right channel had lost its body - very thin sounding and unable to hear the bass at all below 100hz.

This strikes me really odd because the drop wasn't even more than half a meter, and I've dropped many headphones at greater heights without any noticeable issues.

Do you guys think it's worthwhile to ask to repair this headphone under warranty or would I have just voided the warranty by dropping this?

The conversation goes like this:

"The right channel on my new DT770's is cutting in and out and the cable is intact and everything else seems normal."
"Authorized dealer?"
"Yes."
"Warranty."

Done.

Very best,

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 14
Yeah, I bought these last month.

But if they do ask, I'll tell them what had happened.

I do expect them to repair my headphone under warranty regardless of how they were damaged, but wondered if they will do so knowing the circumstances of how it was damaged.

From my point of view, a small drop (but dropped nontheless) causing such a serious problem indicates poor quality control on Beyerdynamic's part.

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
 I'll tell them what had happened.

Telling a warranty provider that you damaged your headphone (which is what you're saying, when you tell them you dropped it and it stopped working as a result of that), will reveal to you that user caused damage is not covered in the warranty.

If you are still within your 30 days, I would RMA them if possible.

Otherwise, when you call for warranty support, you would do well to not mention that you caused the damage by dropping them.

Very best,

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #9 of 14
I thought beyers were indestructable 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back