Headphone Audio setup For Desktop
Feb 23, 2018 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Mccorm

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I'm new here and don't know to much about audio but here it goes...
I have recently wanted to get a new pair of good quality audiophile headphones for all my desktop computer audio this includes playing lots of different FPS games, watching movies and listening to music such as Techno (House), Progressive House, Rap/Hip-Hop and a few other dance genres but i don't just want bass because i do listen to music where clarity would be nice at times. This setup would also be used for streaming/ recording gameplay and editing. I want some recommendations on the best way to budget the setup not really wanting to spend more than £550 and would like to spend around £450. I don't know whether I should get a pair of headphones like the Beyer dt990 premium editions (Have heard good things about them but need other recommendations) and a amp/dac like the modi and magni uber combo which is pushing my budget a bit or even the schiit Jotunheim which is pushing over my budget but if it is worth it maybe i would take the plunge.

I want a DAC/AMP that i can run my 2 powered speakers through and run my cans through as well obviously, I would like to be able to switch through the audio sources if possible and be able to adjust volume and be able to power the cans I get obviously.

I have read some threads saying to just spend most your budget on the cans but i kind of need a desktop audio interface for speakers so wanted something that could do both speakers and headphones but i feel i need some recommendations and guidance as I am so new to all this audio stuff and have only recently started looking at this sort of stuff but as far as headphones go I obviously want some that are going to be quality, very comfortable for long sessions and probably open/semi-open back as If i'm streaming/ recording from my microphone I want to be able to hear myself. I have never really had a luxury, fun and suitable for what I'm using it for audio setup and this is what i want to create now but with it being a good bang for your buck setup.

Please help me with all the advice and equipment recommendations you have!
Thanks in advance!

Feb 23, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 5
A FiiO Q1 MK II (75 GBP) can drive headphones and comes with a line-output jack (for the studio monitors).
Leaves a lot leftover in the budget for headphones.
Soundmagic HP200 headphones are like an improved DT990.

Feb 23, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 5
Do you think that would be all I need for the desktop amp/dac? And it drives 250ohm cans?

Also I just had a look at the Soundmajic HP200s and they’re the same price, jw what the improvements are, I know looks aren’t anything to go by but the don’t look as premium.

Feb 23, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 5
Do you think that would be all I need for the desktop amp/dac? And it drives 250ohm cans?

Also I just had a look at the Soundmajic HP200s and they’re the same price, jw what the improvements are, I know looks aren’t anything to go by but the don’t look as premium.
I own the DT990 250-Ohm and DT990 600-Ohm and prefer the sound of my HP200 over them.

Feb 23, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 5
What is the comfort like of them coz I was kind of attracted to the Beyerdynamics coz of how comfortable they look, And that is only like £250. So do you think I should not spend too much on my first setup, the only reason I was leaning to buying a good amp/dac setup was to get the most out of the phones and for future proof but I saw loads of people saying it’s better to just spend more on the cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back