Headphone and IEM hypothetical.
Jul 21, 2010 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Grimloki

100+ Head-Fier
Here's the hypothetical. You have a budget of $500. Split into $100 and $400. You can purchase an IEM and a full size headphone... You can use each budget for your choice of IEM or headphone, but you can't mix the two. These would be your only audio gear.

I'm predicting everyone picks a full size can for $400 and spends $100 on the IEM, but I'm not sure if the SM3 would change that. In also curious to see if people pick a similar sound signature, or a complementary one.

Personally I'd pick the SM3 as an IEM and the Allesandro MS1 and my headphone, because I need isolation for most of my listening.

Jul 21, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #3 of 20
can i purchase a $400 iem and a $100 iem as back up ?
tongue_smile.gif
 , i love iem's , not at all keen on full size cans

Jul 21, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #6 of 20
love my IEM's. Dont care what nyone says

Jul 21, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 20
full size cans make my ear hot and sweaty and for that sort of money i do not think you will find anything that sounds as good as a $400 iem 

SM3  & custom 3 if i could get one for $100 

Jul 21, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #8 of 20
$400 for IEM and $100 for, well, nothing. That is simply because I don't use much full sized these days so the $100 will be better off in my wallet.

I would rather have the budget splits into $200 (IEM) + $300 (full sized). This way I can have both decent IEM and headphone.

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #9 of 20
in a theoretical world where I don't already own the SM3, I'd buy that and spend the remaining money on legally purchased music, cos I'm feeling a bit guilty about nicking it all for free lately.

Jul 22, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #13 of 20

Quote:
$400 for IEM and $100 for, well, nothing. That is simply because I don't use much full sized these days so the $100 will be better off in my wallet.

I would rather have the budget splits into $200 (IEM) + $300 (full sized). This way I can have both decent IEM and headphone.

I think everyone would... Which I thought would make the question a little more interesting. I wondered how people would rate their listening priorities... IEM vs headphone, and wondered if people would pick a similar sound sig for both, or something a little different. Turns out most people turn down the headphone option, if they don't decide not to answer the question at all :)

I keep seeing this 2:1 of money spent for equivalent sound quality in IEMs vs headphones, and how the bester-est IEM is trumped by the mediocre headphone, and thats not my experience at all. In a roundabout way, its that bit of conventional wisdom that caused me to formulate this question... given a choice between IEM and headphone, one excellent, one mediocre, which would you choose. Can't have decent both in this hypothetical quandry.

Jul 22, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #15 of 20
Interesting question..  Hmm.. If I could find an IEM that captured everything I love about my Grado's I'd be done.  I love the convenience of IEM's and I love my Copper's, but I won't ever be without a Grado.  That said, I'd spend the $400 on a pair of Grado's and search the FS forum for a $100 pair of IEM's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back