Headphone and dac/amp?
Jul 14, 2008 at 6:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

rossboy

Head-Fier
I just want to say that this forum is by far one of the most informative places i have came across. this place is very addicting and i cant seem to pull myself away no matter how i try. As is the same with my music.
I have read alot and i mean alot from here. I have gained a little information from what i've learned but i just can't seem to make the first purchase.
I have my music files stored on an external hard drive thru usb to an asus w3j laptop. I would like to get some headphones for mainly rock oriented music and a dac/amp.
There are probably tons of threads covering this but i would really like to know what the newbies like me have been able to come up with.
My budget is somewhere but i just cant seem to find it yet. so many damn choices ya know. Maybe around $450 for starters. I plan to use mainly at home but maybe the portables are more my price range.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tim.

Jul 14, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #4 of 11
Portable setup: RE1($169) + iBasso D2 Boa(~$180). For about $349, which is well within your budget, you have yourself one of the best portable setup for its money.

Note: iBasso D2 Boa is an amp/dac combo.

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #6 of 11
Does your laptop have an optical or coax line-out? How important are portability to you (I noticed you say mainly for home use)? Portable DAC/amps can actually tend to run more expensive than entry-level desktop/home counterparts (which also perform better). There's desktop DAC/amps that run under or around $200US, leaving you cash for some nice home cans too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does your laptop have an optical or coax line-out? How important are portability to you (I noticed you say mainly for home use)? Portable DAC/amps can actually tend to run more expensive than entry-level desktop/home counterparts (which also perform better). There's desktop DAC/amps that run under or around $200US, leaving you cash for some nice home cans too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Im not really sure what u mean by optical out but there is no coax out. I use the headphone/spdif out. I have IEEE1394 and PCMCIA/ExpressCard if that helps. I have thot of expresscard soundcard but not sure.

Portability is really not that important right now as i listen mostly at home. But i would like to keep it an option. But i am open to all inquiries.

Thanks
Tim

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by rossboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks moonboy. I'm checking the boa. How do like those Sennheiser hd280 pro's.?

I don't use my HD280 Pro anymore, I gave them to my gf. However, the HD280 was the first "real" headphone purchase and I was very happy with it. It doesn't matter that after upgrading you found out how the bass lack impact or the highs can be harsh at times, or how boring it can sound in addition to the really tight clamping of the can.

Although I sound pretty critical of it, it's actually a very good closed headphone for a first timer.
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by rossboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im not really sure what u mean by optical out but there is no coax out. I use the headphone/spdif out. I have IEEE1394 and PCMCIA/ExpressCard if that helps. I have thot of expresscard soundcard but not sure.

Portability is really not that important right now as i listen mostly at home. But i would like to keep it an option. But i am open to all inquiries.

Thanks
Tim

Optical would just be an alternative to using coax and USB for using a DAC.
smily_headphones1.gif
I asked because I was going to recommend the Zero DAC/headamp, which only accepts optical and coax. Katanka linked the official Zero appreciation thread which is worth a read.

If you look on eBay there's the Fubar III DAC/headamp which has a USB input. This is somewhat pricier than the Zero when you factor in shipping, but also looks like a good buy. When I was looking to upgrade from a portable to a desktop rig this was what I looked at, but I went with the Zero because it has a more enthusiastic fanbase here.

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't use my HD280 Pro anymore, I gave them to my gf. However, the HD280 was the first "real" headphone purchase and I was very happy with it. It doesn't matter that after upgrading you found out how the bass lack impact or the highs can be harsh at times, or how boring it can sound in addition to the really tight clamping of the can.

Although I sound pretty critical of it, it's actually a very good closed headphone for a first timer.
biggrin.gif

I guess i should say that i am leaning more to the closed headphones.
Yeah and comfort is a big deal especially when wearing for several hours each sitting. So i definately dont need a vice grip on my head.lol
Maybe an on ear closed headphone? or a comfy in ear.? Dunno.

Thanks guys for the all the help.
Tim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back