Headphone amps for AKG K 702
Apr 11, 2011 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ZoaKaizer

New Head-Fier
Hi, im new here… nice to meet you all.
Im sorry for making such thread, but I already read the threads about portable amps for k702, but I still find ambiguity for the the conclusion from those threads. So I make this thread so we can have the up to date conclusion since you all may have new information today about this matter
I know K 702 is hard to drive and I should look for bigger amps instead of the portable ones. But for some reason im looking  for the portable ones for my ipod. So far one of my friend just bought ibasso d12 for his Ultrasone 750, but he said that it may not enough of  for k 702.

And I also looking at Fiio e7 and e9. Im getting impression that if Fiio e7 is docked on the e9, both of them will sounds better than only using e9 alone or e7 alone, is that true ? And although e9 is desktop amps, from its size I may considered it as portable, easy to carry from my house to office, etc  ^__^

So, which one is the best one for K702 ? Fiio E7+E9 ? Ibsasso d12, or other Ibasso ? or there are other better portable amps ?

Thanks in advance

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 7
I would suggest the PA2V2 amp, but You want DAC capability. It also depend's on how much You want to spend, You could check out the thread called 56 portable amp roundup by SkyLab and ask Him what might be a good fit for You.

Apr 16, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #5 of 7
I use both an RSA Hornet and an iBasso P3+ Heron with my 702s.  Both are terrific sounding, but I'd have to give the edge to the RSA on sound quality.  It is more open, more detailed, soundstages better, has better definition, and drives the 702s more authoritatively.  All that being said, my unrolled P3+, has a very pleasant laid-back and "rhythmically musical" sound compared to the Hornet.  A good comparison to the world of home hi-fi might be P3+ = Naim Audio and Heron = ARC or Spectral.

Both are well built, but I'd have to give the slight edge to the RSA.  However, the RSA volume knob has developed wicked static in the left channel when I adjust the volume, whereas the iBasso is perfect.  A single 9v battery in the RSA also makes for more convenient portable use than 6 AAAs in the iBasso. 

One caveat: I have put many more hours on RSA (which I bought used in the first place), and I feel like the iBasso is still breaking in actually.  I've probably put 75 hours on it since new.   

Apr 16, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #7 of 7
iBasso D6, XM6, RSA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back