1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Headphone amplifier and DAC with phono stage/preamp for HD700s

1. jlittlewood
    Hi all,

Having browsed a few hifi stores and searched on the forums I have still not found the ultimate piece of kit for my situation. Budget - Sub £600. Genre - Alt, indie and classic rock. Location: UK.

I have some Sennheiser HD700's which I listen to on my iMac with a 3.5--> 6.35mm adaptor. This is clearly not powering my headphones well and I need to upgrade. However, I have a planar p1 (without a preamp/phono stage) and want to listen to this through my cans too: why not kill two birds with one stone. The most fitting amp I have found thus far is the Schiit Jotunheim, it has balanced XLR as a bonus. In the UK this is around £520, but I still need to buy a phono stage (around £100). This is a lot of money to spend when I have no chance to listen to the amp. Is there an alternative which I can try? The hifi stores I have been to say this is a very specific, uncommon request.

Will a normal amplifier with a headphone jack be a better option for my budget?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018