Headphone amp with speaker output
May 16, 2013 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sanguinicus

New Head-Fier
Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm basically after a good quality, supreme value for money ($100-$150) headphone amp for computer use (got a decent soundcard with decent dac). My only requirement is that it be able to switch output from headphones to speakers. So ideally, headphone out in the front panel, stereo speaker out on the back. Not interested in CMoy, been there and done it).

The M^3 looks pretty good, but it seems it can only be built for headphones OR (not both) speakers.

Complexity doesn't bother me, only cost does hehe. Running Sennheiser HD555's with 595 mod.

Located in Australia.

Thanks, guys.
smile.gif

May 16, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 15
How much power do you *need* the thing to put out to your speakers? 

1w into 8ohms also driving headphones is easy as can be. 10w into speakers masquerading as a headphone amp is not terribly difficult. 100w into speakers as a headphone amp gets much harder. 

May 16, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 15
What speakers?
Do you want the headphone amp to directly drive passive speakers, or do you mean to use the headphone amp as a pre-amp for powered speakers?

How much experience do you have with electronics, soldering, DIY?

May 16, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 15
Ok, I'll address these queries in order:

I'd like it to power speakers for my study room. Basically, flexibility to switch between speakers and phones. Probably not more than 20W at 8 ohms. Just bookshelf speakers really.

Directly driving passive speakers. All the amplification should happen in the box. I want an amp that has both dedicated headphone and speaker outputs. Ideally, mute the speakers when phones are plugged in, although this is not critical and I would be happy with a toggle switch.

I have plenty of experience. I generally make my own guitar effects units and repair the odd device here and there. I'm a mechatronics and robotics engineer (although, I've left the automation field).

May 17, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #6 of 15
A 4 hour bump, seriously? 
blink.gif

you were in the top 3 posts anyway, and majority of forum users are going to be asleep 

Getting a headphone amp to produce that much power into speakers on such a low budget might be a struggle.
Something like an LM4766 based amplifier kit from ebay or wherever would serve the speakers well, but the gain used for speakers will be too high for headphones, perhaps using transformer coupled headphone outs.

May 17, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 15
Yeah sorry about that, just lurking (and probably a bit impatient, I admit). Damn time difference

I'm willing to stratch the budget I suppose. I'm mindful that half that cost would just be a decent chassis. Speaking of chassis, where can I source decent enclosures? I like the traditional amplifier style enclosures with the the slab-like aluminium front panel. On ebay they're all pretty big, I'm after a smaller one (depending of amp I build).

May 19, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #9 of 15
Maybe a Bottlehead SEX 2.1?

May 19, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #10 of 15
Looks nice, I've done some tube stuff before. But I'd prefer solid state to keep the size (and cost) down. Well what about 'adding' speaker out to the commonly available diy designs? How is a speaker output different to a phone output? Obviously speakers can handle more power, but headphones have much greater impedance. What needs to change?

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #11 of 15
i know the size is not small but why don't you simply get a vintage receiver so you will have both option, myself I'm using a Marantz 2230 and it's perfect

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #12 of 15
The M^3 is a great amp, and it can be build for both headphones AND speakers , you only have to build a PSU of about 36V and choose th opamps accordingly, and use a switched headphone jack.

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
A 4 hour bump, seriously? 
blink.gif

you were in the top 3 posts anyway, and majority of forum users are going to be asleep 

He needs to sell something ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back