Headphone Amp with 150-500 mWatt @ 8 ohms?
post-169767
Post #1 of 3

rlmoss

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I really want to have near-field speakers in my tiny bedroom, study & I'd like headphones too.

Hit on Southelectricaudios Loth Ion B for speaker because I could use low power tube amp. But when I started adding up prices: (headphones)+(headphone amp)+(Loth-600) + ASL Tulip/Orchid (2A3, intergrated or power=$1000), I couldn't afford the set-up.

So I'm wondering if there are any headphone amps that would put out 150/500 milliwatts---into 8 ohms. Joe Rodgers at Southwestern says I could drive the Loth in this near field context.

I thought maybe Bennings Microzolt would work, but on price point, not sure there's an advantage over ASL Waves+Corda.

BTW, is there another Corda in the works? I picked up one reference from someone about to choose--maybe Sugden--and deciding to wait.

post-169786
Post #2 of 3

Hirsch

Why is there a chaplain standing over his wallet?
Reaction score
The Berning MicroZOTL will work. It was designed as an integrated amp for speakers. The headphone jack was added almost as an afterthought. It outputs 1 watt into 4 ohms, and 0.5 watt into 14 ohms, so it exceeds your 500 mw into 8 ohms. The unit comes with headphone and speaker outputs. Berning can add preamp outputs and/or an input selector at extra cost. The ZOTL was really designed for the uses you just described.

I haven't heard the Waves, so I have no idea how they would compare to the Berning sonically.

post-170258
Post #3 of 3

daycart1

Ceremonial old guy, bifocals and all.All the philosophy he can muster can't solve the mysterious double-post.
Reaction score
I haven't heard the Waves either, but the many reviews seem unanimous---excellent "for the money". It is hard to believe that the Zotl wouldn't do much better with speakers except in applications where a few more watts really matter.
Then there is the superb headphone jack....

A couple of McCormack's have appeared for sale recently here and on audiogon. Almost as much power as the waves and a reportedly fine headphone amp. This might be a little less expensive than a used Zotl....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)