Headphone amp w/ Yggy A2 Unison recommendation
Oct 2, 2022 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Moose246

100+ Head-Fier
As the title states, looking for a headphone amp recommendation to pair with a Yggy OG A2 Unison. Currently I've been using a THX AAA 789, and while it's a nice amp I find it really sterile without much body. I also have a Yamaha A-S500 which is sort of the opposite....almost too much muddiness or bottom end (I use it primarily for floor speakers). For headphones I use Utopia's and Empyrean's.

Looking for something warmer, but with more oomph...hard to explain but more body to the sound. Preferably $2500 or less - I buy most items used so factor that in. Open to tubes or solid state.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 22
Do you mean to say that you've been running the Empyrean and Utopia off the THX789?

Oct 2, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 22
Oct 2, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #5 of 22
GSX Mini. There are a couple in the classifieds at good prices now.
Appreciate the suggestion, I've come across that one in searches.

Here's sort of a shortlist I've made, namely just plowing through forums on this site. In no specific order.

- GSX Mini
- Benchmark HPA4
- iFi Pro iCAN
- Simaudio Moon 430HA
- Ampsandsound Kenzie Encore
- WOO WA5-LE (would have to stretch the price range)

Oct 2, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 22
There's also Violectric, SPL, Ferrum... So many options. Maybe you might get some more ideas in the Utopia and Meze threads.

Oct 2, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 22
There's also Violectric, SPL, Ferrum... So many options. Maybe you might get some more ideas in the Utopia and Meze threads.
That’s the problem…so many to choose from. Ha

Oct 2, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #8 of 22
I noticed you have the Kenzie...how do you like it?

Oct 2, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #9 of 22
I noticed you have the Kenzie...how do you like it?

The background is completely black for a tube amp... dead silent even with high sensitivity headphones.

Not the most tubey sounding amp. It's more like a solid state with some tube flavor.

The iCan Pro I keep because it's so versatile and, again, dead silent. You can run pretty much anything off it, including iems.

Oct 4, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #10 of 22
Think I've narrowed it down to the GSX Mini and Violetric V281. Not a ton of logic, other than they've been described as on the warmer side and are reputable. Not sure I'm ready to jump into a serious tube setup yet.

Oct 4, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #11 of 22
Violectric is a sold amp, though a little strange looking. I've heard the GSX Mini at CanJam NY and it was ok... they had it paired with some DCA stuff, and I don't know if that was the right choice. Have you also looked at Questyle?

Oct 4, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #12 of 22
Violectric is a sold amp, though a little strange looking. I've heard the GSX Mini at CanJam NY and it was ok... they had it paired with some DCA stuff, and I don't know if that was the right choice. Have you also looked at Questyle?

The Violetric is odd indeed. That's ok though, I'm not using it as art.

Haven't looked into Questyle, but will now! Mentioned it earlier, but there's just so many options....overwhelming and always leads to "did I choose correctly".

Oct 4, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #13 of 22
Stretching for Wa5 is a worthy endeavor if you commit to tube rolling.

The only amp you really want is the ECP DSHA3F.

Oct 4, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #14 of 22
The Violetric is odd indeed. That's ok though, I'm not using it as art.

Haven't looked into Questyle, but will now! Mentioned it earlier, but there's just so many options....overwhelming and always leads to "did I choose correctly".
So many is right.

Oct 4, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #15 of 22
Stretching for Wa5 is a worthy endeavor if you commit to tube rolling.

The only amp you really want is the ECP DSHA3F.

I recall stumbling across a recommendation for that one in these forums some time ago. Hard to find though, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back