Headphone amp/Regular amp switcher?
Jul 26, 2002 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

PianoBlack

100+ Head-Fier
Is there a device that does nothing but switches the source to connect from one amp to another? Is it affordable?

Basic setup:
Art DI/O DAC to either Corda or ASL Waves. The Bolder Cables (the only interconnects now) are wieldy and I'm afraid, too much moving them around would eventually break them down.

I'm aware getting a switcher would mean getting two pairs of interconnects...but other than that, one shouldn't be too expensive ...right?

Jul 27, 2002 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 13
Reverse the signal path? This probably means some amount of soldering right? But you're right, I've been seeing all these switchers that work with multiple inputs, not multiple outputs. Am I feeding in the right keywords here?

Jul 27, 2002 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by PianoBlack
Reverse the signal path? This probably means some amount of soldering right? But you're right, I've been seeing all these switchers that work with multiple inputs, not multiple outputs. Am I feeding in the right keywords here?

Sorry, didn't mean imply any surgery. I simply meant that since it appears to be a passive device, you could use the output as an input and the inputs as outputs. It's only a switch, right ? I'd talk to the guys at Headroom about it though, the volume control might not make it feasible. (I don't have a clue...) If you've seen other units (sans volume control) they might be better candidates.

Jul 27, 2002 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 13
You're apologizing for my airheadedness...that's new.
biggrin.gif
But: Quote:

I'd talk to the guys at Headroom about it though

..Will do.

thanks! piano

Jul 27, 2002 at 8:36 AM Post #7 of 13
should be easily possible, because that unit also has the `switched out`, unaffected by the volume control. but the thing is 'spensive!.. since you don't need the attenuation, the same could probably be accomplished with the niles axp-1 for considerably less.

Jul 27, 2002 at 10:32 AM Post #8 of 13
Thanks, zzz. I don't think my being a lazyass is worth $60+2 pairs of interconnects. So I'm probably not going to get a switchbox. How odd. That they should be so expensive. One would think switching between two pairs of RCA outputs would be cheap to make.

Thank you anyways. It was a worthwhile pursuit while it lasted.

Jul 27, 2002 at 1:35 PM Post #9 of 13
A two-channel switchbox is not expensive. Radio Shack used to make one that distributed three inputs to one output. Since all it is is a two channel switch, the same device would also switch one input between up to three outputs. This looks something like it:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1248

There's no info on the page, so I'd make sure it's stereo before buying (mine is). I can't answer for the quality of this switch. In mine, audible degredation is minimal. If you have trouble finding one, PM me. I've got a couple lying about doing nothing.

Jul 27, 2002 at 6:43 PM Post #11 of 13
How difficult would it be to add a tape out to the Corda? It seems like this would be the best solution--assuming you don't mind modding the Corda.

Another one of my pet peeves is "dead ended" headphone amps.

Jul 27, 2002 at 8:45 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Another one of my pet peeves is "dead ended" headphone amps.

I'd be pretty peeved too, particularly if it was a real dead end and they left off the headphone jack.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back