Headphone amp recommendation
Sep 5, 2002 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

GTecX

100+ Head-Fier
For the HD600's, I need a recommendation for a headphone amp that will be used for the PC with a turtle beach santa cruz. I'm mainly a gamer, so positioning is important, but i listen to music and watch dvds too. i'm looking to spend under $350, and i don't want to build my own amp. the music i mainly listen to is trace/rap/r&b/rock. i also see quite a number of recommendations for meta42, corda ha-1, and mg head, but i don't know which one suits me or if there's something better for me.

Sep 5, 2002 at 11:48 AM Post #2 of 5
For your price range, all those choices are excellent. You would have to wait a while, but getting a META42 built for you by a resident DIYer will be less than your price range, and this configuration has been said to compete with and even beat the Corda. A solid state amp would probably be best if you want as much accuracy as possible for gaming.

Tube amps I have no experience with, but it would certainly smooth out the rough edges of your PC music, though many reports indicate that lower rung tube amps like the mg head do not handle bass well enough for the types of music you listen to. Again, no personal experience here.

Sep 5, 2002 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 5
For anything with a faster or punchier bassline you're probably better off with a solid state amp.

I much prefer listening to trance/dance through my Creek than I do through my MG Head
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd probably go with the Corda HA-1 - it's on my list of amps to get sometime down the track
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2002 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 5
"the music i mainly listen to is trance/rap/r&b/rock"

I agree with Snufkin. Speed would probably be important to you with trance and rap so I'd probably steer closer to the Corda or META42. Your money will go a little further with a META, but the waiting line is longer. If you want an amp now, order the Corda. If you can wait, the META might suit you better. Be sure to opt for a crossfeed filter if you do go for the META.

Sep 6, 2002 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 5
Economize by having a CMOY built for you. Then put the savings toward a source that will do the HD600 more justice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back