Headphone amp recommendation
post-177829
Post #1 of 5

GTecX

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
For the HD600's, I need a recommendation for a headphone amp that will be used for the PC with a turtle beach santa cruz. I'm mainly a gamer, so positioning is important, but i listen to music and watch dvds too. i'm looking to spend under $350, and i don't want to build my own amp. the music i mainly listen to is trace/rap/r&b/rock. i also see quite a number of recommendations for meta42, corda ha-1, and mg head, but i don't know which one suits me or if there's something better for me.

post-177832
Post #2 of 5

Jeff Guidry

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
For your price range, all those choices are excellent. You would have to wait a while, but getting a META42 built for you by a resident DIYer will be less than your price range, and this configuration has been said to compete with and even beat the Corda. A solid state amp would probably be best if you want as much accuracy as possible for gaming.

Tube amps I have no experience with, but it would certainly smooth out the rough edges of your PC music, though many reports indicate that lower rung tube amps like the mg head do not handle bass well enough for the types of music you listen to. Again, no personal experience here.

post-177844
Post #3 of 5

Snufkin

500+: Audio Dealer: Headphonic (Australia)
Reaction score
For anything with a faster or punchier bassline you're probably better off with a solid state amp.

I much prefer listening to trance/dance through my Creek than I do through my MG Head

I'd probably go with the Corda HA-1 - it's on my list of amps to get sometime down the track

post-178054
Post #4 of 5

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
Reaction score
"the music i mainly listen to is trance/rap/r&b/rock"

I agree with Snufkin. Speed would probably be important to you with trance and rap so I'd probably steer closer to the Corda or META42. Your money will go a little further with a META, but the waiting line is longer. If you want an amp now, order the Corda. If you can wait, the META might suit you better. Be sure to opt for a crossfeed filter if you do go for the META.

post-178100
Post #5 of 5

daycart1

Ceremonial old guy, bifocals and all.All the philosophy he can muster can't solve the mysterious double-post.
Reaction score
Economize by having a CMOY built for you. Then put the savings toward a source that will do the HD600 more justice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)