Headphone amp questions
Mar 5, 2013 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

nevergrowup

New Head-Fier
Alright so I've searched a bit and haven't found an answer yet. By a bit I mean 5-10 minutes so a figure a post would be more efficient if you don't mind. I'm looking for a headphone amp that I can plug in an iPod classic into. Does the amp get its power from a plug to the wall or where? Basically I wanna know can I buy a nice pair of headphones and a nice headphone amp and just plug my iPod classic into the amp and my headphones into the amp and get great sound? I don't want to use a computer at all. Is this how headphone amps work? You just plug em in and hook up your mp3 and plug in your headphones? Is it that simple? Suggestions appreciated as well. Thanks I'm new to this.

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 10
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E11-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0053KWDES/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362539063&sr=8-1&keywords=fiio+e11

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L9-L-Shaped-Cable-iPhone/dp/B004QVNNI0/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_y

I use this combo a lot and like it.

Mar 6, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the suggestions. My budget for the amp is around $500. I'll check out this site though and learn more about different amps. It just plugs into the wall? Hook up your mp3 and headphones and bam you're set? I have the fiio e6 mini amp and I love that little thing.

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 10
I don't like to give advice except when it's from experience. I only have one quality amp so far, but I love it. It's a musical paradise mp-301 mkIII. It is a tube amp which can be used to drive speakers or headphones. I have used it for a couple months now and really have no complaints. It is well under your $500 budget so you can get some other gear like a dac. At any rate it is a steal for the price. That's my 2 cents. Good luck. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Alright so I've searched a bit and haven't found an answer yet. By a bit I mean 5-10 minutes so a figure a post would be more efficient if you don't mind. I'm looking for a headphone amp that I can plug in an iPod classic into. Does the amp get its power from a plug to the wall or where? Basically I wanna know can I buy a nice pair of headphones and a nice headphone amp and just plug my iPod classic into the amp and my headphones into the amp and get great sound? I don't want to use a computer at all. Is this how headphone amps work? You just plug em in and hook up your mp3 and plug in your headphones? Is it that simple? Suggestions appreciated as well. Thanks I'm new to this.

Yeah, it's never good to spend more than 5 minutes researching something.

An amp may not be the best way to spend your money.  If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, go for it.  Otherwise a better combination might be a nice, easy to drive pair of headphones and a DAC.

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #8 of 10
I actually already have the ef2a dac amp but I don't use it much because my pc is too far away from my bed and I only listen when I'm in bed for an hour or so. I like it, I paid 29 bucks for it when it was shipped to me instead of some cheap headphones. I just need something I can just have at the side of my bed or something. I'd rather ask audiophiles to be honest.

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #9 of 10
Maybe it'd make more sense to just buy a laptop but I'm still steering towards a headphone amp. Really the main thing I wanted to know was if a headphone amp just plugs in and you plug your player into it and that's it really. I'm assuming that's the case so ill look into some amps on here. Thanks for the help!

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #10 of 10
That is what I do with mine for now.  I made a cable (or you can buy one) that has RCA connectors on one side and either a female or male 3.5 mm jack on the other side (mine has the female so I can use my LOD from my iphone to the amp).  I am saving for a good DAC but in the mean time it sounds great and it is really easy to access all my music on my phone.  Also most amps have multiple inputs on the back so it is very easy to switch between sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back