Headphone amp placement help (signal chain)
May 11, 2013 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Paulo83

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Have only just joined and this is my first post so apologies if I start with a silly question.  I am looking at adding a dedicated headphone amp (possibly a Little Dot mkiii) to my hifi set up but I am unsure on where in the signal chain it would be best placed.  Currently I have an Exposure 2010s integrated amp taking inputs from a turntable via phono amp, an exposure 2010s CD player, an Apple TV via the TV's phono outs and an Ipod doc via a 3.5mm to phono cable.  If I was to connect the LD iii to the Exposure amp via its pre out would I then be able to cycle through inputs via the integrated amp controls and get all of the outputs through headphones?  Or would I have to take inputs directly to the LDiii without going through the exposure amp first?

May 11, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 5
Hey
Pre Out from your integrated amp to Line In on the MKIII should give you all inputs to the headphone amp. You will have to shut your speakers off as Pre Out's level should be controlled by the volume control on the amp. Where a Line Out will give you a line level signal regardless of the volume control position.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

May 11, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the reply, just to clarify would the Pre Out be cut if I mute the integrated amp? In my head i'm not sure the pre out and speaker out are independent?

May 11, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 5
Hey Paulo

Yeah you are not going to use the Pre Out at all.
I just had a look at the manual for the Exposure 2010s on their site and what you will hook into is the Rec Out jacks. The Rec Out will give you a true Line Out signal level that is not affected by the amplifiers volume control.

Hook the MKIII's Line In to the Rec Out, leave the volume on the 2010s at zero and select your source, then adjust the MKIII's volume control for your headphone's volume level.

Welcome to Head-Fi, and as we like to say around here, "Sorry about your Wallet!"
beerchug.gif

May 12, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks very much TrollDragon, for the help and the welcome! Unfortunately I'm a long term sufferer of 'shiny kit syndrome', I have a feeling you may be right, my wallet isn't going to like this at all!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back