Headphone amp or full size amp ?
Aug 4, 2011 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Candy2407

New Head-Fier
I'm planning to buy an amplifier for my new headphones. I was wondering what is the difference between headphone amplifiers and those full size 5.1 or 7.1 amplifiers ? The big ones have a headphone jack too and can be switched to stereo (or something like that). So why not go for that kind of a setup, where you have the option to enjoy your music and movies both ?

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #2 of 7

Quote:
I'm planning to buy an amplifier for my new headphones. I was wondering what is the difference between headphone amplifiers and those full size 5.1 or 7.1 amplifiers ? The big ones have a headphone jack too and can be switched to stereo (or something like that). So why not go for that kind of a setup, where you have the option to enjoy your music and movies both ?

I would imagine it would depend on what you want from your gear. Personally, I don't require that from an amp that I'm only going to listen to music through my headphones with--my TV and speakers are actually connected on the same loop as my record player, and they have their own amp.

You'll just want to make sure that the amp is powerful enough for the impedance of your headphones--many speaker cabinets run on very low impedance, anywhere from 4 to 16 ohms, whereas some headphones run at 600 ohms.

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #3 of 7
So for example i have a Burson 160D with senn hd 800 with macbook pro. Music, ofcourse, but would i be able to enjoy movies too ?
Sorry, forgot to mention that i would not be connecting it to my TV, i rarely watch TV. All the watching and listening is done on my MBP.

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
So for example i have a Burson 160D with senn hd 800 with macbook pro. Music, ofcourse, but would i be able to enjoy movies too ?
Sorry, forgot to mention that i would not be connecting it to my TV, i rarely watch TV. All the watching and listening is done on my MBP.

But you're talking of using your HD800 and speakers interchangeably, correct? What are they?

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #5 of 7
No No, a friend told me that with this setup I won't be able to enjoy movies, if i wanted to see it on your PC/mac. Let's just forget about the screen size and everything and focus on the sound (with movies mainly) So i was thinking are these amps made only for music. One may just take the big kinda amp for like an all purpose solution.
The speakers are a different issue, I'm talking about music and movies on computer with headphones = good experience without too much gear or fixed all in one solution ?
Do people buy such expensive headphones only for music ? That's kinda crazy.

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
No No, a friend told me that with this setup I won't be able to enjoy movies, if i wanted to see it on your PC/mac. Let's just forget about the screen size and everything and focus on the sound (with movies mainly) So i was thinking are these amps made only for music. One may just take the big kinda amp for like an all purpose solution.
The speakers are a different issue, I'm talking about music and movies on computer with headphones = good experience without too much gear or fixed all in one solution ?
Do people buy such expensive headphones only for music ? That's kinda crazy.

Oh, my apologies, I totally missed what you were asking. Some would consider it sacrilegious to use HD800's to listen to something that has explosions and "irregular" noises versus the continual sound of music. But hell, I use my K701s to play video games (in addition to listen to music), so I say to hell with them. You'll enjoy the movies plenty, and hear things you normally wouldn't, subtle hints and things in the character's actions that will actually make it have more immersion. I say go for it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back