Headphone amp in Rogue Sphinx integrated
May 15, 2013 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jodet

1000+ Head-Fier
The Sphinx is Rogues latest amp.   It's a hybrid tube/class-d 100wpc integrated with 3 line inputs, a phono input, pre-out and a main out. 

And a really good headphone amp.  

I've spent about three hours listening to my HD800's through the Sphinx and am surprised at how good the headphone out on this thing is.  Very detailed lots of 'slam' (unusual for the HD800's and a built-in amp) big, spacious image.  

I've haven't spent a lot of time listening to built-in amps in cd players, integrateds, etc.   But this one is pretty special.  

If you're in the market for a $1295 full-featured integrated and want  built-in headphone amp check out the Sphinx. 

PS: I bought mine to run a hobby shop system but it's so good on my Quad 57's I'm keeping it there.  

May 16, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #2 of 8
Thanks for the post.  Through the headphone out, is the background silent?  Can you compare what you hear through the headphone out to another headphone amp?

I have a Rogue Audio Perseus (2 channel tube pre-amp) in my main speaker system.  No headphone out.  I like how it sounds in my system.  However it is not a black background.  I can hear hissing within 4 feet of my speakers but not from my listening position.  I might consider the Sphinx for my other speaker system; a really good headphone out makes it a stronger contender.

May 16, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #3 of 8
It's dead quiet.   The headphone amp in the Sphinx does not run through the tube section.  In fact, you don't even turn the unit 'on' to use it.  

I have a Perseus Magnum, I should do a compare sometime.  

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 8
I just bought a Sphinx, it should arrive tomorrow !   Seems like a heck an integrated amp for the money.  Glad to hear the headphone amp is so good.  I have a pair of AKG K702 that will make use of that part.

Jun 27, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 8
Where i can find the specs of the headphone section? 
It also comes with a phono section, interesting. 

Jun 27, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Where i can find the specs of the headphone section? 
It also comes with a phono section, interesting. 

They don't list the specs for the headphone output.  You can try emailing them.  Once I receive mine, I'll check the manual to see if the specs are listed.

Jun 27, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 8
Okay, let us know how it sounds with your K702 once you have it! 

Jun 24, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #8 of 8
Hi guys,

I'm using my Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro on the Sphinx and I'm puzzled to find that the treble's cut off.
But when I plug my Sennheiser CX400 in-ear phones to the Sphinx they sound just fine (not really but more on that later.)

At first I thought the Custom One was at fault but when I plug them to my cell phone they sound great.
What's even stranger is that they are both 16-ohm phones, albeit one is a full-sized closed-ear cans and the other is a tiny in-ear. 
So is that why?  The Sphinx doesn't go well with full-sized cans with low resistance?

Another thing is that when I plug the CX400 to the Sphinx, you can hear hissing, loud hissing, but not the Custom One Pro (obviously, because the high end is cut off on these).  This hissing is there whether you have a source or not.  The second you plug it in the hissing starts.

I'm not sure which one I should have checked by the dealer now. The Sphinx or the Custom One Pro?
Suggestions, any one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back