Headphone amp for use with Sennheiser HD650
May 27, 2015 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AlecEiffel

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for recommendations for a headphone amp to use with Sennheiser HD650.

The main use for here would be with my ATH LP60, which I currently have just hooked up with some Audioengine A2 speakers.

The LP60 can go line level or phono, so I've not needed a pre-amp yet, but I was wondering if it would make sense to get something like a Bellari VP130, which looks like it can double as a phono pre-amp and headphone amp.

But I also need to know if something like that is powerful enough to drive the HD650s.

To summarize, my listening use cases are as follows:

1.  Need to set up headphones -> LP60
2.  Usually go directly into a MacBook laptop these days.
3.  May also be interested in building out that vinyl setup in the future.

Are there any obvious choices for what would complement my desires above?

May 28, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 3
Well, I'll take a stab at it.  You didn't mention your price range.  This can be a limiting factor.  I may have this wrong, but it seems you want to hook your TT to something that can then connect to your speakers and provide a headphone jack.  I'm not clear on what you're doing with your computer.  I don't know if I would get too balled up with a phono preamp since your TT has one.
A headphone amp with preamp outs would provide a solution.  It would provide a line level input for your TT (some have more than one input), a volume control for both your speakers and your headphones.  I know some, but not all of the Schiit amps offer a preamp out.  There are other brands/models that do.  Prices vary a lot.  Your budget will probably set your options though.
Something to consider....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back