Headphone amp for sennheiser hd 800s.
Mar 26, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 13
  Looking to spend about 500 to 800 dollars.

I am an HD800 owner and I spent a good chunk of time this week auditioning the HD800S. A set will join my setup in the not too distant future - my dealer is sold out and having trouble replenishing his stock. Mine will be paired with a Woo Audio WA6 and WA22. The WA6 is $699 and a great value if a tube amp interests you. Solid performance with huge tube rolling options. Your HD800S will thank you... There are so many choices in that price range it might assist other posters if you give some info on your tastes and desires.

Mar 27, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 13

I am an HD800 owner and I spent a good chunk of time this week auditioning the HD800S. A set will join my setup in the not too distant future - my dealer is sold out and having trouble replenishing his stock. Mine will be paired with a Woo Audio WA6 and WA22. The WA6 is $699 and a great value if a tube amp interests you. Solid performance with huge tube rolling options. Your HD800S will thank you... There are so many choices in that price range it might assist other posters if you give some info on your tastes and desires.

Any comments on HD800  HD800s comparison?  

Mar 27, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 13

Any comments on HD800  HD800s comparison?  

I did the audition using a Chord Hugo fed by my Apple 6S as a transport running Kaiser Tone and assorted FLAC files from 44.1 24 bit through to 196 24 bit. Switched back and forth between a set of HD800 and HD800S owned by the shop. Their HD800 sounded very much like my own when using my Chord Mojo. The difference between models was detectable but more subtle than many posted comments would suggest. The shop was empty so the listening environment was good but for some light traffic noise from outside. I would not call the HD800S better by any means, only slightly different. I am not troubled by my HD800 in any way and for me the difference between the models will only matter for critical listening sessions while playing tracks that take advantage of each phones attributes. The only way I can rationalize purchasing the HD800S would be as a second quality headphone for my spouse to use on the occasions on which we fire up both of my amps. If I were deciding between buying one of the two models today, and could only own one, I would go for the HD800.

Apr 20, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 13
Jul 19, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 13
I needed a DAC and amp.  I found a very lightly used Benchmark Media DAC1 HDR for 800.  But I would seriously look at the Audeze Deckard Amp.  It sounded fantastic and had enough power to really make the HD800s sing.

Jul 19, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #8 of 13
sorry for the post hijack, it is just happened that I am looking for the same thing

I have HD800 and buying bifrost but don't know what amp to pick

I listen / watch Anime / Japanese songs, so mostly female vocals, any suggestions would be appreciated

Jul 14, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 13
Same question, but price range up to 3k.
Looking for experience! What has been the best headphone amplifier match for the Sennheiser HD 800(S) in your opinion?
I actually have the HD820, but I am sure no experience here can already be found. I make an educated guess that the best for the 800(S) is also the best for the HD820.
I now use a Schiit Mjolnir 2 (tubes). But get a feeling there is more to be get...

Thanks in advance!

Jul 14, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #12 of 13
Cavalli Crimson. That said i wouldn't assume what is good for the 800/s is good for the 820.
You are probably right, but I need a start!

Jul 14, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #13 of 13
Same question, but price range up to 3k.
Looking for experience! What has been the best headphone amplifier match for the Sennheiser HD 800(S) in your opinion?
I actually have the HD820, but I am sure no experience here can already be found. I make an educated guess that the best for the 800(S) is also the best for the HD820.
I now use a Schiit Mjolnir 2 (tubes). But get a feeling there is more to be get...

Thanks in advance!

My favorite was the Woo Audio WA22 but my experience with it was limited to that, the HeadAmp GS-X Mk2, and a few less memorable amps (I don't even remember). While the GS-X Mk2 is the more transparent and less colored amp, turns out I don't prefer this since I take issues with various HD 800 characteristics and the WA22's warmth (with the right tubes of course) helps hold the HD 800 back.

Based on this, I'd go for an OTC or OTL tube amp. The WA22 is still around and has been updated since then, but I think I'd rather get a Bottlehead Mainline personally though I've never heard the combo myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back