1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Headphone amp for both Q701 and IEM's

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by jasonb, Jun 4, 2014.
  1. jasonb
    I already have a DAC, but I no longer have a headphone amp. I was using a vintage Pioneer SX-750, but lately I have been listening to near field speakers almost exclusively and decided to replace that with an Emotiva Mini-X A-100 to power them. So as of right now I have nothing to plug my Q701 into if I wanted to. 

What would be a good amp for $200 or under that I can use with my Q701, but could also be used to power a Vsonic GR01 IEM if I'm needing isolation? I was thinking the Schiit Magni, but I'm not sure how it'll do with IEM's. I guess I would possibly use an attenuator of some sort with the GR01 if need be. I don't listen loudly and I'm afraid I'd have essentially no volume control with the Magni and IEM's. 

2. jasonb
    Or I could get the Schiit Vali to use with the Q701 which I hear is an excellent pairing, and just keep using my Galaxy S4 when I want to use my IEM's. I've never used a tube amp and it sounds interesting. 

3. toolio
    Or maybe the new Schiit Lyr2 with t he gain switch? This was just introduced. I own the original Lyr, which certainly is not suitable for IEMs--but I believe the new one is intended to overcome this issue.