Headphone amp for both Q701 and IEM's
Jun 4, 2014 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jasonb

Headphoneus Supremus
I already have a DAC, but I no longer have a headphone amp. I was using a vintage Pioneer SX-750, but lately I have been listening to near field speakers almost exclusively and decided to replace that with an Emotiva Mini-X A-100 to power them. So as of right now I have nothing to plug my Q701 into if I wanted to. 

What would be a good amp for $200 or under that I can use with my Q701, but could also be used to power a Vsonic GR01 IEM if I'm needing isolation? I was thinking the Schiit Magni, but I'm not sure how it'll do with IEM's. I guess I would possibly use an attenuator of some sort with the GR01 if need be. I don't listen loudly and I'm afraid I'd have essentially no volume control with the Magni and IEM's. 

Jun 4, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 3
Or I could get the Schiit Vali to use with the Q701 which I hear is an excellent pairing, and just keep using my Galaxy S4 when I want to use my IEM's. I've never used a tube amp and it sounds interesting. 

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #3 of 3
Or maybe the new Schiit Lyr2 with t he gain switch? This was just introduced. I own the original Lyr, which certainly is not suitable for IEMs--but I believe the new one is intended to overcome this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back