Headphone amp for AKG702
Dec 1, 2010 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Swingdoctor

New Head-Fier
I've just purchased a 702 and am looking for a headphone amp to go with it. I like the reviews members have given here about the Burson Audio HA-160, and honestly am leaning heavily in this direction, I am happy though to hear opinions about other amps though that would be a good match.

The other issue I have is that I'll be running the amp from my CD player, the RCA's on my CD player are already attached to my integrated 2 channel amp. My CD player also has XLR outputs and speaking to Burson, they indicated they will make an amp with XLR inputs. For various reasons I would prefer to keep it as an RCA plug. My integrated amp does not have an output stage but I do have an AVR which does(tape). The AVR though has been set up for surround sound and really not the best source for music. Anyone have any suggestions how I could make everything work?

Dec 1, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 5
I have experience with the Burson & a Woo Audio WA6.

I can hardly tell a difference in the sonic quality. But the Burson has more power.

Also, people here love the Matrix M-Stage. Ugly looking though :p

Dec 1, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 5
sure, there's a solution.  buy a headphone amp with xlr inputs.
don't be afraid of them.  use those bad boys. 

Why? 
they offer a more detailed, more transparent, and more powerful connection to your headphone amp.
take for instance one of the Cary CD players - the output using RCA connection is something like 3 volts.
With XLR, it's over 5 volts.
not to mention, when i switched from RCA to XLR connectors in my rig, i noticed an improvement in soundstage, detail, imaging and background silence.

you don't have to go "fully balanced" all the way to the headphone.  obviously, you have a headphone that has a 1/4" plug.  so it is single-ended.

but, simply using an amp that will receive a balanced signal will give you a slightly more pristine audio quality.
plus, you can keep using your system like it is...

there are several amps that meet this criteria.  probably quite a few in your price range.

take for instance the Audio-GD Roc.
it has XLR input, and puts out just under a watt into the AKG's load.  (that's single-ended.  it puts out 1.8 watts balanced)
that, trust me, will make those headphones dance.  they are extremely power hungry.

i personally find my WA6 a little wanting with the K702, and have found that the 5-watt Little Dot MKVI+ does an amazing job of driving those cans...

good luck with your purchase!

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
I have experience with the Burson & a Woo Audio WA6.

I actually ordered their new amp, the HA-160d. My brother owns the HA-160 (we just traded it) and it drives Akg hp's nicely, i just want to be a step further than him. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back