Headphone + Amp Combo
Mar 30, 2006 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

aud1ophile

100+ Head-Fier
Hey. I'm just gonna start this thread to see what people recommend. Well... what I really want to do is get more into the hobby, but being 14 doesn't help. My main goal would be to get a pair of headphones and a good amplifier and be happy with my choice. Like the HD 650s with a Gilmore Lite, or a pair of Beyers with a Total Airhead amp. I see that people have HD 650s, AKG K701s, Beyer DT 770/880s, and Grado/Alessandro cans. I would like to have a pair of headphones that are amazing, and that I can use with anything. However, for now, I will just get some MS-1s to see if I enjoy that specific sound signature.

Mar 31, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #2 of 5
You should listen around and see what you like. Others will disagree, but the majority of the gear discussed here sounds good. At this level, it's mostly preference. Don't worry so much about the "right" or "wrong" thing to buy. Probably any recommended item (such as all those you list) are going to sound good.

Also, take a look at some of the DIY stuff. It's not too hard, and your school might have an electronics lab. Mine did, and I really enjoyed those classes. I had no idea you could build quality audio gear at the time, but I know the teacher would have helped out with an amp project.

Mar 31, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by aud1ophile
Hey. I'm just gonna start this thread to see what people recommend. Well... what I really want to do is get more into the hobby, but being 14 doesn't help. My main goal would be to get a pair of headphones and a good amplifier and be happy with my choice. Like the HD 650s with a Gilmore Lite, or a pair of Beyers with a Total Airhead amp. I see that people have HD 650s, AKG K701s, Beyer DT 770/880s, and Grado/Alessandro cans. I would like to have a pair of headphones that are amazing, and that I can use with anything. However, for now, I will just get some MS-1s to see if I enjoy that specific sound signature.

Hey, the MS-1s are pretty amazing.
The HD-650s with a Gilmore lite would be great, but I think you're on the right track with the MS-1s. You might try a better source. Then you can move up to the big boys. Go to a meet and they'll really help you spend your money.
Seriously, try to hear different headphones. Uncle Erik's right that most of this stuff sounds good, but everyone has different tastes. You may not even like the 650s, they definitely aren't for everyone.
At the moment, I'm sitting here contemplating buying some RS-1s and maybe an RA-1 to go with them. Full retail that's over $1000! That's nuts when you add in what I have already spent. The only reason I would do it just to get another sound signature. My 650s are great for what they do, but so are the RS-1s. Get out and find what you like.
But the MS-1s are a great place to start. They'll go with anything, but do try to improve your source. That'll make a difference with headphones the quality of the MS-1s.
Good luck.

Mar 31, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 5
yeah, i'm hoping the MS-1s will be my cup of tea ^_^ but anyways, what sources would be appropriate to upgrade? my soundcard?

Mar 31, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by aud1ophile
yeah, i'm hoping the MS-1s will be my cup of tea ^_^ but anyways, what sources would be appropriate to upgrade? my soundcard?

Yeah, unless you also want a PCDP as a portable source. There's a lot of discussion on here about the outputs of different soundcards and which ones have headphones amps built in. Just use the search and see which ones do.
The MS1s will work using a line out, but any kind of amp would really help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back