Headphone amp around 300-450$
Sep 11, 2009 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Ozer

100+ Head-Fier
OK, first of I want to ask if I should get tube amp or SS amp.... I've already got answers for that, but not if there's a difference in music genre ?? Like I listen to rock ( not the hardest rock) Like the band Paramore.... Will tube or SS be better for the rock genre ? If not I'm pretty sure I want a tube amp....

Ok, now to what I want... I havn't desided on headphones yet, so I can't say witch this amp will drive... But anyhow, the amp should cost around 300-450 bucks, have a intergrated DaC with USB connection, like I said before I'm going to listen to rock.

For example Darkvoice except I don't think any of them has any USB-connecter... Do anybody know if there a Darkvoice product with USB ??

Sep 11, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 11
I said I didn't know yet... Feel free to give some tips... Maybe some sennheiser..

Sep 12, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #4 of 11
Can't anybody answer ?? About headphones, like I've said I don't know yet... But feel free to give some tips, you can give some tips on amps and headphones that you know is good together....

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #5 of 11
Your question is like asking that you have 350-$400, hungry and would like to eat till you full. And you want the forum to give you a choices of restaurant. You only mentioned that you like continental food (that's your preference for the music). Go and search tons of the ready information on this board (or other), narrow down and present it here.....then you can expect some help......

Sep 13, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by forbigger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your question is like asking that you have 350-$400, hungry and would like to eat till you full. And you want the forum to give you a choices of restaurant. You only mentioned that you like continental food (that's your preference for the music). Go and search tons of the ready information on this board (or other), narrow down and present it here.....then you can expect some help......

Yeah, I'm sorry, but I'm a noob in this area, Especially with headphones, headphone amps....

Ok, I don't know how to write it, but atleast I can tell you that I will drive a pair of Sennheiser 650 with the amp.... About the music I don't understand what you mean... I listen to Rock and here's some of the bands I listen to:

*Paramore
*Foo Fighters
*Bloc Party
*Linkin Park

The amp should be class-A and like I said before, have (if it's possible) a internal DaC that you can connect with a USB- or optical cable... I like some bass, but not too much... I have Sennheiser 595 right now, and I think it has pretty good bass with my amp... I have a Harman Kardon HK980 amp right now.. (mostly for speakers..)

I'm going to connect the amp to my computer (for now..) and that's why I wanted a USB-connection... But will I get good sound if I connect the amp(with DaC) with an optical cable ? I have a Auzentech Prelude 7.1 soundcard...

In my first post I asked if there's any difference in how good the audio is with tube- or Solid State amp with different genres of music.. I can't really explain it good, but are there any big differences ? For example do SS amps have better bass and are better for music like pop ? (I've heard that)

Ok, I'm very bad at explaining what I want, so if you still don't get what I want, then can't you just give tips about headphone amps around 300-450 dollars that you know is good....

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'm sorry, but I'm a noob in this area, Especially with headphones, headphone amps....

Ok, I don't know how to write it, but atleast I can tell you that I will drive a pair of Sennheiser 650 with the amp.... About the music I don't understand what you mean... I listen to Rock and here's some of the bands I listen to:

*Paramore
*Foo Fighters
*Bloc Party
*Linkin Park

The amp should be class-A and like I said before, have (if it's possible) a internal DaC that you can connect with a USB- or optical cable... I like some bass, but not too much... I have Sennheiser 595 right now, and I think it has pretty good bass with my amp... I have a Harman Kardon HK980 amp right now.. (mostly for speakers..)

I'm going to connect the amp to my computer (for now..) and that's why I wanted a USB-connection... But will I get good sound if I connect the amp(with DaC) with an optical cable ? I have a Auzentech Prelude 7.1 soundcard...

In my first post I asked if there's any difference in how good the audio is with tube- or Solid State amp with different genres of music.. I can't really explain it good, but are there any big differences ? For example do SS amps have better bass and are better for music like pop ? (I've heard that)

Ok, I'm very bad at explaining what I want, so if you still don't get what I want, then can't you just give tips about headphone amps around 300-450 dollars that you know is good....

I'd say the 650s dont fit those genres. Rather a grado, or atleast the HD600. THis is stupid. First you get your scource, then your headpohnes, and then ur amp based on ur scource and headphones. Buying an amp before you have bought headphones is not a good choice. Start another thread in the full size forum asking for a headphone for ur music and then an amp to match them well. For around 800 bucks i suppose. And if u want good stuff from a computer you need a separate dac

Sep 13, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #8 of 11
Ozer, any chance you could attend a meet in your area to try various amps and dacs with your HD650? Sennheiser used to showcase their HD650 with a Graham Slee Solo amp. A couple of months ago I sent a Solo SRG out and various members found it synergized well w/ the Senn cans. The Solo is above the limit you posted.

If you are looking to improve upon what you have it will not be an easy answer and it will take some listening on your part to find the gear at the price you are willing to pay. There was an Oritek DAC/Amp on sale by a fellow member, I had one of this DAC (V4.1) and thought it was a very good sounding unit.

Sep 13, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #9 of 11
No worries Ozer......My first advice is that if you like HD650 is to get the phone first and preferably audition it first before buying if you could. Its true that the general consensus in the audio world is that Grado fits better for rock and the genre close to it. But from the way you post, seems that you like bass and if that is the case, stay away from Grado unless you want to fork up some serious money for really high end Grado.

The next step is to buy your headphone of your choice then use your current amp to drive it. Headphone amplifier is to a certain extent like pre-amp, so I believe your harman kardon speaker amp should be able to drive any headphone to quite a decent level......You should be better off on procuring a stand alone dac rather than a combination so that you have a more flexibility when you wanted to upgrade in the future. Besides you still can hook up the dac with your current harman kardon.......

I'm no expert but I have been through your road to where I am now.......

Sep 13, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks for the good answers... I will consider buying other headphones.... When I know witch, I will post a new thread....

Forbigger, I could drive them with my Harman Kardon, but I want the best you can get for the price range I posted :p I'm a audio-freak
biggrin.gif
But I'm 18 years old and lives home with no job... So my budget aren't that high... If I would have more money I would've buyed much more expensive headphones....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back