Headphone advice appreciated
Jul 3, 2012 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dcm1602

New Head-Fier
Basically im trying to find a pair of headphones for an older person who is hard of hearing for the sole purpose of watching tv.

I know a decent bit about gaming headgear, but have absolutely no idea what id be looking for (or even compatability) for something that I could hook up to a cable box or tv.

Are there any solid recomenedations anyone has for this ?

Thanks !

Jul 3, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 9
Honestly the actually head phone wont be a big deal if there not to concerned with audio quality but It would be nice for them to have something decent. The main thing would be how are you going to hook it up? Does the TV have a 1/4" or Mini jack audio out? If not you will have to get creative with cable adapters or have some sort of receiver.

Jul 3, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 9
Well thats the other thing.

Im helping him pick out a new tv, so if theres anything that the tv should ideally have (ie a 1/4 or mini jack) then it wouldnt be too hard to make it happen.

I would think that some kind of wireless headphones would be most convient, however im all about whatever the best deal is and whatever comes most highly recomended 

Jul 3, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
Basically im trying to find a pair of headphones for an older person who is hard of hearing for the sole purpose of watching tv.

I know a decent bit about gaming headgear, but have absolutely no idea what id be looking for (or even compatability) for something that I could hook up to a cable box or tv.

Are there any solid recomendations anyone has for this ?

Audio Technica ATH-A900 (closed) or ATH-AD900 (open).

Jul 4, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #7 of 9
Check with Sennheiser they have a whole selection of TV headphones.
Wireless & Wired (18 Foot Cable)

For users with Hearing Aids and without.
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/tv-hearing-aids-headphones

My father has a unit that he place in front of the TV, and it transmits right to his hearing aids.
Beltone specific device.

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
ATH-A900 vs ATH-A900x (these just came out this year) ?
Assuming I could get the A900s for 190 or the A900x for 224
Is it worth the extra 34 bucks ?

ATH-AD900, open, $213
ATH-A900, closed, $190 new, $148 used
ATH-A900X, closed, $238 (new model)

I would say the $148 for the used ATH-A900 is a good choice (used sold at amazon).
On eBay some one is selling used ATH-A900X for $175 plus shipping ($10).

But I think the wing support on the ATH-A900 is better and only cost $148.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back