Headphone advice, also where to try in Orange County, CA
Aug 14, 2014 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

chromecarz00

New Head-Fier
Budget - Most of the headphones from the upper-middle range in beginner's guide I've found within priced 3-400 I have found for under $150, either through eBay or craigslist, so I'm more worried about getting good recommendations than price at the moment. Somewhere around that range is good for me though, and I don't mind used.  

Source - Down the road, I will likely get a Fiio E7 or E17 to boost up the headphones, so I'd like something that would benefit from one of those, but until then the headphones will be driven from my computer, iPod, or my phone (HTC M8). Isolation - 60% home, 40% elsewhere. I estimate that 10-15% of use will be in louder environments, i.e. train or plane or airport, so something blotting out external noise would be good. I don't mind carrying larger headphones around, so I don't need to get something that's marketed as "portable" at the cost of sound/build quality.

Preferred type of headphone - Full-sized around the ear

Preferred Tonal Balance - I enjoy bass, so I'd like a pair of headphones that have a good helping of that, but preferably not at the expense of overall sound balance. I hate headphones (or speakers) that have a shrill sound for the highs, so avoiding that is a must.

Past headphones - Bose QC2

Preferred music -I listen to everything from 80s to Dubstep to Jazz, but my main genre is electronic (house, drum and bass, dub, tropic house, electric violin, etc etc)

After doing some research, I found this pair of Beyerdynamic Custom Ones that transitions between an open and a closed setup, which intrigued me because I'd love to have a hybrid headphone which can morph based on mood/music listening to. However, I don't see a large amount of reviews on it, so I'm not sure that it'll fulfill my needs. Any thoughts on this? The JVC HA-SZ2000 seem great, but again don't have many reviews so I'm not sure what to think of them. I've been recommended the ATH-M50 but after a bit more digging, they don't look like the right headphone for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back